𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

chapter twelve: whipped.

Ricky and Red sat in the front seat of Red's car, having just dropped EJ off at home after their night at the diner

seat of Red's car, having just dropped EJ off at home after their night at the diner.

Ricky laid his head up against the cool glass that was the car window, definitely smudging it as he admired the simple beauty of the outside, letting his thoughts get lost in the dark streets that led to his home.

The red head on the other side of the car noticed the boys suddenly, yet fairly noticeable, distraught face, even in the dark car, the only light given off belonging to the street lamps, it fading and coming as they passed each one.

"Hey, man," Red turned to face him for a split second before returning his eyes to the road, "Are you good?"

Ricky hardly turned to face him, only shifting his head a few inches to the driver's seat. He sighed.

"I'm just... confused." He admits rather quickly. Well - this was his best friend after all.

"Wanna talk about it?" Red offered, turning the steering wheel as they made it down another road.

Red noticed Ricky's mood shift while they were at the diner. He wanted to ask then, but knew EJ would make something out of it. He could tell Ricky didn't like talking about his feelings around EJ.

EJ was more of a "friend in the moment" type of guy. Most of the time, he was fun to be around, he was funny, knew how to party. And Red was more of a long term friend. Ricky's best friend. Someone he could actually talk to if he needed. And Red was 110% well aware of that.

Ricky shrugs his shoulders a bit, feeling a bit embarrassed. "I don't know. It's stupid."

"Obviously it's not stupid if it's making you upset."

Ricky now fully turned his head to face Red, wondering how he'd word this while he furrowed his eye brows together. "You know when you can tell someone is being somewhat... standoffish or short with you, even though you were fine like ten seconds ago." Ricky rambled, Red just slightly nodding his head in response, "Well, she's acting like that with me now and I don't know what I did wrong."

"Who?" Red questioned, not taking his eyes off the road, "The girl you've been texting?" He noticed Ricky nod his head from the corner of his eye.

"I just... I don't know what I did wrong." Ricky mumbled, running a hand through his curly hair. "In a matter of, like, four seconds, she just... Became so short with me."

Red turned onto Ricky's street, just listening to his friend rant on and on about this girl that was, surprisingly enough, causing him distress.