𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

chapter thirteen: comfortable.

A couple of knocks came from the opposite side of Nina's door, waiting a moment for a response before repeating itself

from the opposite side of Nina's door, waiting a moment for a response before repeating itself.

Dana was waiting for Nina's answer, wondering if her daughter was awake yet or not. Usually, Nina was up and ready for her day by now, especially with her usually going to bed at a relatively early time for a Friday night.

That's why when Dana let her third round of knocks make their appearance, she was confused as to why Nina hadn't made a peep.

Dana would've shrugged it off as her daughter just sleeping in if it wasn't for the feeling in her gut, fearing it had happened again.

Swinging the door open and rushing to Nina's bedside, Dana checked for any sign of Nina in pain, holding a hand to her heart to make sure it was beating fine and well.

Luckily, Nina was fine. Perfectly well physically and just sound asleep, really getting in some much needed rest after her hectic night, which she had yet to tell Dana about yet. She was still trying to figure it all out for herself.

With all the commotion happening around her, Nina woke up instantly, utterly confused at what was happening. "Mom?" Nina rubbed her eyes, whispering, of course.

"Hey, sweetie, are you alright? You've been asleep for a while?" Dana frantically asked, even though she could tell Nina was fine on the outside.

Nina knew why she was like this. It's happened once in the past few years and now Dana was scarred for life.

And, as a teenager, Nina liked to take more naps and liked to rest longer than when she was kid, but still had a decent sleep schedule. This just scared Dana even more. Especially after what happened.

Nina just sighed and stuffed her face into her pillow, nodding. "I'm fine." She mumbled into the pillow. She was tired of this. Constantly having to be worried about - being fragile in all aspects. It made her feel uncomfortable. Unwelcome. Unwanted. She felt like a burden.

Dana sighed a bit, "Okay, well... I'm heading out. I'll be home later."

Nina would've looked noticeably confused to her mother if she hadn't stuffed her face into her pillow - and if Dana hadn't already walked off by the time Nina decided to finally sit up in her bed, giving up on the thought of possibly falling back asleep for the remainder of the morning.

She was confused as to why Dana was leaving, at all, on a Saturday morning, without having mentioned it beforehand until now. Though, her thoughts quickly went else where as remembered the multiple events that occurred last night.