FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR

The first class the next morning was Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Moody. Ophelia found herself playing with the small chain around her neck as she waited anxiously outside of his classroom. She absentmindedly twisted the pendent back and forth along the chain as she drew up all of the possible scenarios that could occur during the class. She didn't think that Moody would single her out during a lesson with so many witnesses, but knowing the ruthlessness of the man, she couldn't rule anything out. She dropped the pendent suddenly as the tapping of wood against stone echoed from down the hallway. Everyone became silent as Moody rounded the corner and hobbled toward the classroom. The crowd of students parted like the Red Sea as he grumbled under his breath, searching for his wand in his large, deep pockets.

     The Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom hadn't changed much from how Lupin had had it last term, though Ophelia was quite invested in the jar of spiders sat atop the desk as soon as she set her eyes on them. She sat down slowly and apprehensively as she pulled her textbook from her bag. She nearly jumped as the chair next to her scraped against the floor and Blaise slumped down. Ophelia had her guard up— possibly more so than she needed to. She heeded her mother's warning, but didn't want Moody to so much as glance in her direction in fear she might explode.

     "Put those books away." He grumbled as he hobbled to the front of the room. "There's no need for books in my classroom."

     Hesitantly, Ophelia slipped her book back into her bag that was propped up against her chair, and watched as the others did the same.

     "I'm aware of how behind you are in this course. Professor Lupin has explained that you are quite knowledgeable in dark creatures, however, you're incredibly behind with dark curses." His blue eye was shifty and all over the place, taking in each student, studying them carefully. "Right, first I'm going to take attendance. I'd like to get to know you all before we begin."

     He began naming off names from a long list of parchment, his fake eye zipping to each student who responded to their name while his natural eye remained glued to the parchment.

     "Ophelia Rosier." He grumbled, glancing up from his parchment with both eyes. Ophelia responded with a quick 'here' before allowing her lips to return to a small frown.

     There were only few students who Moody paused at. Most were children of rumoured Death Eaters: Draco, Crabbe, Goyle, Theodore and herself. He also paused when he'd reached Harry Potter, a sense of intrigue and curiosity washing over the man's features. Ophelia wanted to roll her eyes, it was always all about Harry Potter, but she refrained in fear that his freakish eye would catch her. Once finished, Moody slapped the parchment down on his desk and turned to face the class once again.

     "So, as I was saying, curses come in many shapes and forms. The Ministry has advised me to only teach you the counter curses, however, I don't believe you should be waiting until sixth year to actually learn about the dark curses. So, who can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?"

     Hermione Granger's hand rose into the air — as usual. Moody pointed to her and she righted herself, sitting up tall and proud. "Three, sir."

     Moody turned to the blackboard behind him and wrote the word unforgivable in thick, messy letters. Ophelia swallowed hard. She hadn't expected their first class to dive in so deep, but she should have expected it from an ex-Auror.

     "And they are so named?" He asked, turning back to Granger.

     "Because they are unforgivable." She said matter-of-factly. "The use of any of them will—"