TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

     It was dark when Ophelia's eyes fluttered open. She sat up quickly in a panic, her hand clutched to her chest. Glancing around, she didn't quite recognize her surroundings and her brain still felt fuzzy from whatever the Dark Lord did to her. She felt around the dark bed for her wand but found nothing. Suddenly, there was a popping noise across the room, and Ophelia scrambled up the bed until her back rested against the headboard, she was blind and defenceless.

     Quick, light footsteps moved closer, and Ophelia continued to feel around for her wand, until a small snap caused lights to flicker in the room. Once her eyes adjusted to the light, she noticed a small house elf standing beside the bed with a tray of food in its hands.

     "Hello miss." It squeaked nervously as it saw Ophelia's startled reaction. "Mistress Malfoy asked me to bring you something to eat when you woke. She also asked me to let you know that your mother sent over some belongings for you to stay the night."

     Throwing the covers off her body, Ophelia swung her legs over the side of the bed. "No. Please tell Narcissa that I do not wish to stay the night."

      As soon as she stood, the bedroom began to spin around her, and the house elf quickly set down the tray and offered her a hand to sit down. "Mistress Malfoy thought you might say that. You have gone through quite an ordeal today, and you need your rest."

     Biting the inside of her cheek, she looked around the room. It was massive, much bigger than her bedroom in her own home. The bed she was in was draped in black satin bedding, and was much too big for just a girl. There was a fireplace across the room with bookshelves on either side and two lounge chairs in front of it. It was quite grand for a guest room.

     "I have brought you some dinner. Mistress Malfoy says you must eat to feel better." The elf said again and nodded towards the tray it had left on her nightstand. Without another word, the house elf disappeared, leaving Ophelia alone again. She didn't even try to leave her bed again in fear that she would end up on the floor unconscious again. She reached for the tray on the night table, noticing her wand had been placed there as well. Relieved, she removed the lid on the tray and picked at the fruit. She really didn't feel all that hungry, despite having the energy practically sucked out of her earlier.

     Pinching the bridge of her nose, Ophelia began to finally process the events of that day. She had actually spoken to the Dark Lord. He actually valued her like Crouch had said. She could feel him though, imprinted inside of her head like a tumour. Like a piece of him was sitting in there, waiting to tell her what to do. The things he placed in her head were horrific, and obviously only thoughts made up inside of his own head, but if he intended those things to come to pass, and if he needed her help with it... she was fucked.

     A sharp knock jolted Ophelia from her thoughts. She climbed out of the massive bed and walked cautiously towards the door. Had Voldemort come back to tell her the rest of her task? She placed her hand loosely on the handle and considered pretending she was asleep instead. Closing her eyes, she felt her heart jump into her throat as she turned the handle, opening the door a crack.

     Of course the Dark Lord wouldn't come to her, she would have been summoned. On the other side of the door stood Draco, his brow furrowed in confusion and his hands buried deep in his pockets. "May I?"

     Ophelia nodded curtly and stepped aside, holding the door open wide enough for him to step inside. He walked straight to the French doors as if he was used to spending time in that room. After a long silence of Draco staring off onto the grounds outside, he finally turned to her.