ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN

The buzz of excitement for the upcoming Yule Ball didn't die down at all following the dancing lesson. The girls were giddy with anticipation; in hopes that the boy they fancied would ask them to the ball, and those who already had dates gushed about what they would wear. The boys seemed to have opposing feelings about the ball — but were more so excited for the after-party and spoke not of their dates or their attire, but of how they would sneak firewhiskey into the Great Hall.

     One person, however, was not looking forward to the ball in the slightest. Ophelia exited the dormitory bathroom with her hairbrush in hand, her expression stoic as she tuned out the other girls' conversations.

     "Didn't you see how close Amelia and Cassius were? It was like they were meant to dance together." Tracey Davis gushed as Ophelia stowed her hairbrush loudly back in her nightstand drawer. She quirked an eyebrow at the conversation and caught Daphne nudging Tracey with her elbow, nodding in Ophelia's direction.

     "Oh...Sorry O, I didn't realize you were there." Tracey muttered abashedly. She hung her head in anticipation of what Ophelia could possibly have to say in response.

     She silently grasped her jumper off the hook next to her bed and threw it over her head. "It's fine, Tracey." She mumbled as she pulled the neck of her jumper over her face. "It's not like Cassius and I are all that exclusive anyhow. If he wants to go to the ball with Avery then —"

     "You're as exclusive as it gets, O!" Daphne interrupted. "Avery should have backed off."

     "It was Snape's direction to have them partnered, Daph. It's not like Cassius didn't want to dance with me. Snape probably just wanted us practicing with someone in our own year. It's no big deal." She was halfway out the door of their dormitory at that point, and turned quickly to see the two girls staring at her in confusion. "Are you coming to breakfast or am I going alone?"

     Daphne shook her head quickly. "Of course, let's go, Trace."

     The girls walked silently to the Great Hall from the dungeons. Ophelia didn't mind the silence, she preferred when her friends weren't pestering her about Cassius. The silence was quickly broken by Daphne butting in once again.

     "How are you not more concerned about Warrington and Avery?"

     Ophelia stopped quickly in her tracks and spun to face her blonde friend. "Because, Daphne, Cassius is a big boy and he can decide for himself who and what he wants. I'm not going to be one of those jealous girls who loses their mind every time he talks to another girl. It's just not who I am." She paused, noticing Pansy Parkinson's bob of brown hair over Daphne's shoulder. She was practically stepping on Draco's heels to remain as close as possible to him. "I'm not like Pansy."

     Ophelia continued on quickly to the Great Hall with Tracy and Daphne struggling to keep up with her quick strides. Good, she thought, they're too busy trying to keep up to ask any more stupid questions.

     As soon as the girls finally reached the Great Hall, Ophelia's eyes were immediately drawn to the far end where long, golden curls bounced with each giggle as Amelia Avery reached a small, dainty hand to touch Cassius' bicep. He didn't shy away as he grinned in response to whatever daft comment the girl must have made. Ophelia felt that very same feeling return to the pit of her stomach that she felt during dance practice. She could feel her friends stop dead in their tracks next to her, obviously stunned by the scene in front of them as well.