EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT

By Sunday morning, just about everyone knew that Harry Potter was to compete in the Triwizard Tournament as a fourth champion. Much to everyone's displeasure, Harry didn't show up to breakfast that morning. Ophelia was disappointed she didn't get the chance to jeer at him with the rest of the school for being a cheat.

     Ophelia met with Cassius by the lake after breakfast. Only, Cassius didn't want to do much of anything except talk to her about Potter, which decidedly, she'd had enough of by then. Instead, she leaned against his chest while he played with her hair and nodded each time he'd say something. Her mind wasn't fully present, but she enjoyed every moment spent with Cassius, even if it was just to complain.

      It was almost peaceful after Cassius had vented enough that he'd had nothing left to say. That was, until Potter and Granger rounded the lake coming from the direction of the Owlery. Cassius made a sound deep in his throat that resembled a growl.

     "Don't bother, Cass." Ophelia muttered, taking his hand in hers. "He's not worth your time."

     Potter was berated everywhere he went. He couldn't even go to classes without someone making a snide comment in his direction. He spent most of his time either alone or walking with Granger. Only a fool wouldn't notice that Weasley was never in his presence.

     Hufflepuff House was probably the hardest on Potter— other than Slytherin, of course. Where Slytherin constantly berated Potter, Hufflepuff had cut him off completely. Even Professor Sprout was short with him during their Herbology lessons. Just when they finally thought that their house would earn some recognition, Potter swooped in and gathered all of the recognition into his arms and wore it like a cape. Ophelia didn't blame them for hating him.

     When they arrived at Hagrid's hut one afternoon for their Care of Magical Creatures class with the Gryffindors, Potter was already there, alone, speaking quietly with Hagrid.

     Ophelia walked with a large group of Slytherins, comprised of herself, Blaise, Daphne, Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle and Parkinson. They all scoffed at the sight of Potter. It had become a usual occurrence whenever they'd see him.

     "Look everyone, it's our champion." Draco sneered loudly enough for Harry and Hagrid to face them. "Quick, get your books out, maybe he'll sign an autograph for us!"

     "Shut up, Malfoy." Harry seethed, moving away from the half-giant and stepping cautiously towards Malfoy with his wand held loosely in his right hand.

     "I've heard that at least half the Triwizard champions have died in the past, Potter." Malfoy taunted, stepping even closer to Potter, hand on his own wand. "My father and I have a bit of a bet going, you see. I say you won't last ten minutes into the tournament. He disagrees..."

     Malfoy paused, looking around at the crowd surrounding them.

     "He bets you won't last five!"

     A roar of laughter erupted then, mostly from the Slytherins, but Potter looked enraged. His hand shook as he gripped his wand tighter in his hand. Malfoy raised his own wand in defense, but lowered it just as quickly as Hagrid stalked towards them with the crates full of Skrewts in his hands.

     He assigned them— much to Ophelia's horror— to walk the Skrewts on leashes as though they were dogs. She was reluctant when she took the leash from Hagrid, wanting nothing more than to burn the creature and run back to the safety of the castle, but unfortunately, Care of Magical Creatures was a compulsory subject for fourth years. She'd have to stick it out.