SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

With March came drier weather, but with it also came blistering cold winds that bit at sections of exposed skin wherever the students would walk outside. It had become custom for the students to wrap themselves in scarves whenever they were required to be outside in the grounds, especially having to stand outside for Care of Magical Creatures. Ophelia had just returned to the Entrance Hall after an excruciating lesson with Professor Grubbly-Plank. Even though Ophelia much preferred her over Hagrid, she could have at least had them inside on days like this. Ophelia noticed a tall Cassius striding into the Great Hall and immediately set her gaze the other way. Things hadn't been great between the two of them the last few weeks. Ever since the Hogsmeade trip and the night of the anti-Potter party, Ophelia hadn't felt the same. Cassius didn't understand her, and quite frankly, she didn't want to be with someone who put her down for being the way that she is, so, inadvertently she'd pushed him away to the point where they barely spoke anymore. There had been no confirmation of their relationship ending, but, to Ophelia, she was done.

Double potions was next that morning, and while she quite enjoyed potions, and she didn't mind Snape all that much, she was not in the mood for it today. She unravelled her scarf from around her neck as she and Daphne made their way to the dungeons. As the two girls approached the doors to the potions classroom, Draco and Pansy waved them over, each of them holding a copy of the Witch Weekly and a sly grin on their lips.

"What have you two done now?" Ophelia asked, ripping the magazine from Draco's grasp.

His expression was so smug Ophelia wanted to smack him just for the sake of it. "You're gonna love it." He said excitedly, standing on the tips of his toes to read again over Ophelia's shoulder. After finishing reading, Ophelia scoffed, forcefully shoving the magazine back into Draco's hands, crumpling it in the process.

"Hey! You—"

"This," she pointed at the magazine clutched to both Draco and Pansy's chests. "Is not funny. This is just stupidity." She rolled her eyes and stepped away from them, not wanting to be a part of any of it. The group of Slytherins ignored her and went back to giggling about the article.

Just then, Pansy turned toward the exit of the dungeons and began to squeal. "There they are! There they are!" She bounced excitedly on the balls of her feet as everyone around them snickered. Potter, Weasley and Granger were descending the stairs unknowingly waltzing right into the snake pit. "You might find something of interest in here, Granger!"

Pansy had tossed the magazine towards Granger who caught it sloppily before turning it over in her hands. Ophelia rolled her eyes, expecting another duel to break out shortly, and this time she refused to be caught in the crossfire. Thankfully, Snape opened the door to the classroom and Ophelia darted inside, avoiding all of the other snickering Slytherins. Ophelia wanted no part in that bullying, not because she cared for Granger's feelings, but because that could have been her being written about in Rita's article, but thankfully the wretched woman decided to stick with ruining Hermione's reputation instead. Still, she'd have no part in humiliating the girl.

As Ophelia took her usual seat next to Blaise, she glanced over to see Granger laughing as she tossed the magazine onto the empty stool beside her. At least she was taking it well. The bushy haired girl then looked over towards the table of Slytherins and gave them a very fake smile and wave, as if they had been waiting for her to have some sort of mental break.