TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

The mid afternoon sun was surprisingly hot. Even with the breeze, the air still felt sticky and thick with humidity. It was the hottest day of the summer by far, and Ophelia Rosier could feel the sweat trickling on her forehead which she quickly wiped with the back of her hand. Her usually straight dark hair was thick and curly, holding the humidity like a sponge. She didn't turn back, however. Ophelia would rather suffer in the sweltering heat than spend one more moment in that miserable house with her mother.

Althea hadn't said more than a few words to Ophelia all summer. Despite seeing the pain and suffering her daughter was enduring, she hid herself away in her study, ignoring the screams and cries from the nightmares that wouldn't cease. Ophelia had dreamt of Cedric's death every single night since it happened. She was growing sicker and sicker of seeing his vacant eyes staring at her, rousing her from another restless sleep. The only thing that seemed to clear her mind was walking. She walked endlessly most days, often finding herself in Muggle neighbourhoods where there was no chance anyone she knew would recognize her.

Ophelia's daydreams were mostly filled with Draco Malfoy's pale face. She replayed the memory of them kissing over and over in her head, remembering the feelings that Draco had felt in that moment, her heart swelling with guilt and sadness, but also longing. She wanted to see those steel eyes again, and feel his soft lips on hers. She had forgotten what they felt like.

Draco had sent her countless letters over the summer, which Ophelia kept unanswered in a neat pile in her desk drawer. As much as her heart wanted Draco, she knew it was no good for either of them. Ophelia needed to go through and deal with whatever was to come from this Seer situation alone. If the Dark Lord really was seeking her out, it was in everyone's best interest to keep to herself and focus on shutting down her mind once again. Then, she wouldn't have to feel that longing she felt for Draco, and they could both go on with their lives.

Ophelia wiped another bead of sweat away from her forehead and tossed her hair back over her shoulder. It really was sweltering hot. She really didn't know where she was, or where she was going, but she let her feet carry her and she always seemed to find her way home. As she exited through a small trail of brush, she found herself in a small park. There were several young children playing, but even they were moving as slow as molasses, their bodies too hot and tired to exert more energy. She walked along the hot sand, her toes digging into it softly through her sandals, noticing a figure sitting on the swings. She stopped dead in her tracks.

"Potter?" She called out and the boy jumped, his hand springing to the pocket of his jeans. When he noticed her, his brows furrowed. Ophelia cautiously approached him. He had cut his hair since she'd seen him last, thank Merlin. She probably wouldn't have even recognized him if it weren't for his ridiculous glasses.

Potter gripped onto the chain of the swing while his other hand lay protectively over his wand in his pocket. "Rosier...what are you doing here?"

"I should ask you the same thing." She muttered, glancing around.

"My Aunt and Uncle live just down the street." He explained, nodding down the path opposite from where she had just emerged. Ophelia took a seat on the swing next to him. This seemed to shock Potter, since he turned and looked to her with an incredulous stare. "Why are you here?"

"I like to walk." She replied simply. "Takes my mind off...things."

Harry nodded, looking back down at his shoes in the sand.