0.5

We walked for another hour or so, until it started to get dark. We walked down off the tracks into the woods, and set up camp. The boys had a fire going quick, and we made our food.

"Vern, you better turn yours," Chris said.

"This is the way I like it," Vern said, and with that, his burger slid right off the stick.

"Aw shit! This isn't funny guys, what am I supposed to eat?!" Vern cried, while we all were laughing.

"Why don't you cook your dick?" Teddy asked, a smirk growing across his face.

"It'd be a small meal!" Chris finished, sending as us all into hysterics.

"Screw you guys," Vern muttered, poking around in the fire, "hey! I got it!"

After the fire died down a bit, Chris pulled out the Winstons he'd brought along and gave one to each of us. I barely ever smoked, but it was kinda nice actually.

"Nothing like a smoke after a meal," Vern said, and we nodded.

"I cherish these moments," Teddy murmered. I glanced at Chris, who snorted.

"What? What'd I say?" Teddy said, and we started mimicking him.

"Hey Gordie, why don't you tell us that new story you have?" Chris asked him.

"Yeah! Your stories are great!" Vern said excitedly.

"Oh alright..." Gordie said, and went on to a story about a guy named Lardass who got revenge on everyone by entering in a pie eating contest, and barfing over everyone.

"That was awesome," Teddy mumbled, and we nodded in agreement.

I yawned, and decided it was probably late and I needed some sleep. I pulled my blankets out of my bag and lay them out on the ground.

After we were all tucked into our sleeping bags, or me in my blankets, we fell asleep quick.

I was walking down the street to the drugstore, to pick up some medicine for my mom. Just as I was about to pull open the door and walk inside, and rough hand grabbed me on the shoulder. I turned around and saw Ace Merrill standing inches from me.

"W-what do you want?" I stuttered, backing away from him.

"Oh, I don't know, just to torture you," he said, cleaning under his fingernails with his switchblade. I gulped, and slowly walked around him and sprinted towards home.

"Get back here you bitch!" Ace shouted, and raced after me.

Before I knew it, I was laying on the ground, with Ace hovering over me with his switchblade against my cheek.

"How about we have a little fun, huh?" he said, dragging the blade softly down my cheek, pressing harder as he got to my neck.

"Say goodbye," he said, and raised his arm.

I sat bolt upright, panting and shaking. It was only a dream, I thought, rubbing my eyes.

"Van? Is that you?" someone asked, and Teddy came shuffling over.

"Yeah, just a bad dream," I muttered, shivering.

"What about?" Teddy asked, sitting next to me.

"Ace...killing me," I said, staring into the fire.

"I wouldn't let that happen to you," he said, putting a hand on my knee.

"Thanks Teddy, you're a great friend," I said, smiling at him. He just sighed and shook his head.

"Can you not tell Van?" he asked, frustration filling his voice.

"Tell what?" I asked, absolutely clueless.

"That I'm in love with you!" he nearly shouted, making me jump.

"You're what?" I asked in disbelief.

"I love you Van, I have for the longest time too," he said, leaning closer to me. I leaned in too, closing the gap between us fast.

"Teddy, I-" I was cut off by his lips pressing against mine, ever so gently. He immediately pulled back when I didn't respond.

"Sorry, I had to do that," he mumbled. I leaned into him, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I love you too Teddy," I whispered, looking up at him. He looked at me, shocked, and wrapped an arm around me. I pressed my lips against his, and he kissed back. It was amazing. He got up to go to his own sleeping bag, and kissed me one last time. I fell into a dreamless sleep, undeniably happy.