Chapter Twenty.

Dedicated to pfudgeosorio because she's the first to comment on my cover ever! Thank you so much. ☺️❣️

Zoe, sighed again, and picking Mia I made it to her comfy beige chair and plopped down.

"You are not mad?" Zoe was officially scaring me.

I sighed again, "why would I be, seeing as you took good care of my baby, probably a little too much, but hey! I love Mia and a little extra flesh is not gonna.... Wait, it's from food right? She is not sick or anything." I asked worriedly, examining Mia closely and Zoe turned ashy before me.

I narrowed my eyes when I saw Kate trying to leave and Zoe basically holding her as some sort of shield.  I was now alarmed and was bringing out my phone to call the local Vet, Dr. Ashley when I heard Zoe mumble something hurriedly.

I looked at her blankly and it was Kate who repeated the sentence clearly now, "Mia is pregnant."

There was thirty seconds of total silence then I let out a strained laugh, "Kate, don't be mean to my poor Mia, sure she's gotten a little more fleshy but I am sure it's just a food baby." But when no one else joined me, "What do you mean Mia is pregnant?" My voice was a note higher now.

Zoe broke first, "I am so sorry, I tried so hard to keep Max from her and distract him with Grace but....."

Everything in me was ready to scream at Zoe but then I wasn't willing to lose my budding friendship for the first time in a while, over a not so trivial matter as this. She did me a solid by looking after Mia for the while I was gone, and also looking at her face, I felt a tad guilty, I knew she probably tried her best and she was genuinely sorry, but right now I needed to go and figure out what to do. I mean I could barely take care of Mia with me handling sewing projects and trying to launch my brand online.

I silently picked up Mia's things that Zoe had already packed, while they were looking at me like I was going to detonate anytime soon.

"Uhmm, thanks Zoe for helping me with Mia but right now my head is over the place and I need to figure out what to do about Mia...."

They took a tentative stepped towards me, "you are not mad?"

"Oh, I am.... Just a teeny weeny bit mad but you are my best friends so....." I wasn't done and Zoe was choking me with a hug and Kate joined in, while simultaneously grinning creepily and yelling "you said it yourself, we are BFF's now!"

Zoe scoffed, "speak for yourself, Charlotte." Thank God she was back to herself, and then Kate mildly hit her arm, "Oh, come off it, Kingston!" Uh, besties right? Well better now than never to learn Zoe's last name.

___________________________

Here I am, watching a compilation of cute Tiktok babies on YouTube, I promise I started watching a video of sustainable designing, and then forty something minutes later, I am singing the Baby Shark doo doo song alongside the cutest brown skinned toddler with the most voluminous curly hair I have ever seen on a baby. These Youtubers don't play fair.

I brought my Banana-Watermelon-Apple-milk-with-a-dash-of-ginger smoothie to my mouth to take a sip only to come up empty. It sucks because I want more and I don't feel like leaving this comfortable position I am currently in. Well that was until I looked at the time. Shoot, I barely had an hour to prepare for my so called date with Jason, and I don't even know if he remembers.

Almost on cue, my phone dings with a single message.
Be ready, 5pm.
At least I could rate the romantic nature of this date from the text, which amounted to a whole total of like two. I wasn't sure why I was feeling disappointed though, I mean, I told the guy I was taken and from what I got from Katie and Zoe, he wasn't likely one to make moves on a taken woman.

I had a quick shower and moisturized before glossing my lips and brushing my hair, I was only going to put in minimal effort for an obviously friendly date.

Putting on a long sleeved off-the-shoulder pink ruched dress, the kind with the long strings. I paired it with gold Gladiator sandals from senior year that I had somehow unearthed from my home closet from my most recent home visit.

I was just dabbing on a little perfume when I heard the first knock. I picked up my watch and little clutch purse where I checked to see if I had enough cash on me to pay for dinner, after a little debate with myself I threw in my credit card, because I couldn't be any less prepared. By the third knock, I was yelling that I was coming and gently stroking Mia's head, while simultaneously telling her that I would be back.

On opening the door, I was confused to be met with the sight of a smirking Jason holding a single red rose and looking dapper in a pink striped button down shirt, grey dress pants and the latest pair of black Alexander McQueen's sneakers. I don't know how but he was working the whole ensemble effortlessly, especially the pink, I didn't know many men that could make pink work.

The smirk on his face considerably grew when he obviously checked me out and I discovered why a moment later, we were matching even though my dress was one shade darker than his.

"Great minds think alike." He mused all of a sudden with the stupid smirk still on his face, then he sobered a little after seeing the unimpressed look on my face, "a rose for the beautiful lady,"

I smiled slightly or just slightly bigger than the Joker, who's checking. I mean he did call me beautiful, excusa and accepted the rose from him, excused myself for a moment to go get a black velvet jacket to reduce the seeming similarity between our dressing and for the cold that was sure to start later this evening.

Surprisingly he complimented me again, and then casually led me to his car by placing his hand slightly on my upper arm and next thing he was opening the car door for me.

I smiled into the single rose stem, sniffing it subtly while he was going round to the driver's seat, wondering exactly what was going on and how much more effort could he have made if this was a real date. Not like I cared.... Or did I?

Vote, comment or whatever it is that cool kids do.
I LOVE YOU.
-Jay (Not Jay Morris).😘😉