Chapter Thirteen

Dedicated to okwudaboss7 because he literally joined Wattpad to come check my story out 😳 and has been an amazing support here too. I hope you have a wonderful time here!

"Ivory!" My mum shouted for the third time from outside my door, before she pushed open, without knocking. See why I moved out? She doesn't understand the word privacy.

My face was planted in between the fluffiest of my pillows, McFlurry and McFluffy. Shesh, don't judge, okay? I was probably drooling too as I mumbled "Good morning Mama. Can you call me again in the next thirty minutes or days or centuries." Or at least that was what that was meant to be. In reality it came out like "Goof mooring Maaam. Can yuf caal me in the net tiry mins, or daaaaysss, or centriesssss." I made myself a lot more comfy on my big fluffy bed from childhood.

Margaret sucked on her teeth, a sign of a good ole spanking and I started, then remembered I was now a grown butt adult, who is currently independent, but Mama with her "Mommy antenna" had already read my mind.

"Oh Jesus Lord, gimme strength. Ivory "Rosalyn" Spade, don't make me put you ov'r my knee and spank you all the way to Timbuktu." And I was up in a second.

The threat wasn't what had brought me up in the actual sense, although I know that my mother might mean that, what brought me up was my middle name. I hated it and mum knows how much I whine when she calls me that, and I didn't disappoint.

"Mummmm" I whined like a teenager and she smirked at me. "Now you are up, go prepare for church service, meet us down in thirty minutes." Now I looked at her, she had her hair in rollers and I could perceive breakfast from downstairs. Dad was making his magic, yay!

I grudgingly stood up, making her to smirk and leave the room. Tonight was the ball, but first service. I went to my closet removing my satin bonnet as I  went, fluffing my big ole hair and picking up the new toothbrush I bought.

I checked for toothpaste and released a sound in between a grunt and a whine. I picked out the dress I had packed, a short pleated mustard coloured dress with bishop sleeves and a conservative neckline.

I laid it on my bed and picked out my accessories. A maroon suede flats and matching purse, a pair of simple fringed earrings, my charm bracelet and my Rolex watch aka my baby.

I went downstairs and was almost immediately attacked by our pure white giant German Shepherd, Roxy. She leapt on me, taking me go the ground with her, I was so going to bruise.

Tongue lolling out, she gave me a proper doggie kiss, saliva and all. Eww. I loved Roxy and all but she gets too excited, a lot. I gave her wolfie-life head a pat, wincing while calling out, "Dad!"

My dad immediately came out, an apron round his waist and a spatula in one hand, waving dramatically. "Where is the thief?" He looked around in confusion and then looked down.

"Oh, hi there." I groaned "please can you take Roxy away?" I made shooing motions with my hand and dramatically banged my head on the ground making him wince.

"Roxy, good girlie. Come to daddy." Roxy took a look at him and laid her big head on my chest getting comfortable. Immediately my mum's voice rang out from the kitchen. "Roxy, get your ass in here and come finish your breakfast or no treats for you today!"

I am sure Roxy understood not one word but I am sure she understood that voice belonged to someone you don't mess with so she was up in a second, bounding off to the kitchen without a look back.

"Smart doggie." Dad mumbled while crouching. He fixed me with those blues that look exactly like mine and he squinted a little. "Does anything hurt, baby girl?" I milked it "my head, my butt, my whole body," I whined. He bent to carry me and I snuggled happily, until "She is no longer a baby, I am sure she can walk just fine, Richard."

Dad dropped me gently, scratching his stubble. I stuck out my tongue at mum and she gave me a death glare. I immediately straightened up, mumbling under my breath. "I just need toothpaste."

________________

We got to church thirty minutes late-r because of yours truly. Mum was giving me her famous glare while I was looking as innocent as a dove. We walked as inconspicuously as we could and sat down to listen to the choir ministrations, conducted my idiot ex and his blinding smile. Praise God.

At the end of the service, we went to greet our local pastor because he was a family friend and most especially because, mum was not so subtly trying to match make me with his son, Greg. Ugh, been there, done that. Moving on. In other words, I tried dating Greg once, did so not work out, I mean the idiot was trying to win a bet.

"Good morning, pastor Sam, beautiful day the Lord has made." Mum started, subtly nudging me forward. He smiled , his eyes crinkling at the edges and engulfed me in a fatherly hug. "Our little bug is all grown up" and my dad nodded proudly.

"Hey, little bug!" Greg said, appearing from no where, and smiling cockily with his stupid handsome face and the grayest eyes known to manhood.
Almost immediately I was engulfed in a warm hug and a cloud of Chanel No.5 perfume.

No, not Greg, I am sure he doesn't have a death wish. I immediately squealed "Auntie Tamara!" She released me and smiled fondly "My little bug."
There you have it folks, the originator of that bittersweet nickname and my favourite person in the whole world.

She continued, "I love, love that dress. You outdid yourself this time." "Hello to you too, Tamara." Margaret quipped hiding a smile.

Tamara turned, "Oh hello... Um, good morning Pastor Sam, good morning Richard, how are you doing Greg?" She suddenly turned flustered, and I could swear the tips of Pastor's Sam's ear turned red. My mum rolled her eyes like this was an everyday occurrence.

"You should probably make Ivory your brand new best friend," Auntie Tamara just rolled her eyes, linked arms with my mum and walked off with her, her patent snakeskin louboutins clinking on the gravel.

Dad also walked with Pastor Sam, but not before he made me promise him to come see him before travelling back which I did as he was and still is my mentor.

I was left with Greg, who was still smiling stupidly. "Hey." he started softly. I rolled my eyes "bye."

"Don't be like that, I said I am sorry, please can we get past this?" He pleaded, rubbing his palms together nervously before placing them in his pants' pocket.

I sighed and looked at him, "I am already past that, but my ego isn't." I looked at him pointedly. He smiled and shook his head a little, "You look pretty." a little pause "I have missed you as a friend. How's city life treating you?"

I shrugged, "its all good. I heard you a cop now, how did that happen? I mean you were like a poster child for badboys and now you are a choir master and a cop."

He smiled, "I was lost awhile after my mum's death, I am all straight now though. The Lord saved me, ah its a long story...." He shuffled his leg around awkwardly and looked down for a moment.

"Wanna grab a bite with me sometime? Uhm, as friends of course...." He added after a look at my skeptical face.

"Free food? Of course I am in." I said, adding a little smile afterwards.

"Can I have your number?" He asked, looking uncomfortable. I  narrowed my eyes playfully and gave him my phone. "Gimme yours instead."

He made a quick work of imputing his number and almost blinded me with his beautiful teeth. "Text me when you are free, in town or just whenever. Or just call me."

I returned the smile. "Maybe."

Hello there, how are you doing today? Hope y'all are staying safe indoors. Sending my love and my prayers to all affected people out there. This too will pass. Amen.

This is a late birthday gift to solangetakem. Keep living chicken, I love you!

Please go send her some love. I mean she is literally the fuel behind these updates. She haunts me, people. 👻👻

How did your Easter go? For those that celebrate. For me, I ate plenty chicken.

Vote, comment or whatever it is that cool kids do.
I LOVE YOU.
-Jay (Not Jay Morris).😘😉