Chapter 23

Callums' P.O.V.

"Babe? Why aren't you at school?" Missy asked. The meeting had gone how I expected and now I just wanted to see Missy.

"I've been excluded," I explained.

"What? How long?" she asked as she pulled me inside.

"A week," I told her.

"Could be worse," she said, sympathetically. 

"And I'm on report to Miss Carter and she said if I don't do well I'll be banned from prom," I explained. I wasn't that fussed about prom since Missy wasn't going to be there. I actually had a great week because I had so much time to revise and see Missy that it felt more like a reward than punishment. 

Me, Mum and Chloe were all eating breakfast. Chloe was glaring at Mum and I knew she was only eating with us because it was Mum's birthday.

"Your dad's throwing me a barbeque tonight. I'd love it if you'd come," Mum said to Chloe.

"Tony?" Mum didn't answer her.

"That'd be a no then," Chloe said and she set her toast down. 

"Happy birthday," Chloe said and she thrust a card at Mum. Chloe grabbed her bag and stormed off down the path. Mum looked upset so I handed her my card. She opened it and was pleased with the voucher that I had got her.

"Thanks Cal," she said. 

School was boring and I kept getting funny looks because of the Mr Shah incident. I didn't let it bother me and I managed to get through the day without getting in trouble. Miss Carter was pleased with me when I showed her my report.

"Are you looking forward to your Mums barbeque?" she asked.

"Are you going?" I asked.

"Well me and your mum are friends so yes I am," she replied. 

"Oh well cool I guess," I said as I left her office.

I was sitting alone in my front garden while everyone else laughed and chatted. I wanted to be with Missy but I couldn't miss Mum's birthday. I had invited Missy round but she said she didn't feel well so she would miss today out. I looked up and saw my Dad wearing the most embarrassing apron I have ever seen. I shook my head and took a bite out my burger. 

"Thanks for coming," I heard Mum say. I looked up and saw Chloe had arrived. She walked off into the house and I was tempted to follow her. I didn't because we hadn't spoken since I attacked her. 

"You alright Callum?" some woman asked.

"Yes," I replied whilst desperately racking my brains as to who she was. Luckily Chloe had just stormed out the house and was causing a scene so I didn't have to carry on talking. Chloe was holding a huge duffel bag and Mum was trying to wrestle it out of her hands. They were fighting and screaming at each other. I watched on in shock. Dad tried to get between them and Chloe stormed off down the path. Dad grabbed Mum's arm and she tried to wriggle out of his grip. I just sat watching the drama unfold. 

"What a perfect family," I muttered under my breath. Mr Simpson punched Dad and a full on fight broke out. I was laughing so hard as people tried to separate them. Eventually they were pulled apart but I was still laughing. Dad stormed off and the party ended soon after. 

"I'm going to see Missy," I shouted later that day. Mum didn't respond. She was staring at the wall, blankly.

"You alright?" I asked. She didn't answer and I gave her up as a bad job. She would talk when she wanted to. Mum wasn't the only one who was being quiet. Missy was acting all weird, like she was holding something back.

"You okay?" I asked.

"The baby," Missy said.

"Yeah, what?" I asked. 

"I'm not going to have it. I thought it's what I wanted but now I know it's not," Missy told me. Honestly I was relieved but also annoyed at her. Not for not wanting the baby but because she kept going behind my back and making decisions. Call me a twat I don't care but I didn't know what to say or do so I just got up and left. 

As I walked home my head was a mess. Thoughts were flying around at 100 miles an hour. I didn't know what I wanted and I walked around town until it was dark. 

On Monday morning I got up early to go and see Missy. I know it was selfish of me to have walked out but she hadn't exactly been thinking about other people when she got pregnant. 

"Can we talk?" I asked.

"Err sure. Wanna come in?" she asked. I followed her into the house and sat down on the sofa.

"I'm sorry for walking out I was just, well, I was just confused and annoyed and relieved and well..." I said but I trailed off. I had no idea how to properly explain what was going on in my head. 

"It's alright I get I it. I was selfish and I'm sorry," Missy said and she started to cry.

"Hey, shush," I said and I pulled her into my arms. We stayed curled up in silence together.

"You say you were relieved but I thought you were happy," Missy said, breaking the silence. 

"I was only happy because you were," I explained.

"Why?" Missy asked.

"Because if anyone deserves to be happy, it's you," I said. We fell back into silence.

"I love you," she said.

"Love you too." She smiled and snuggled deeper into my arms.

"Can you promise me one thing?" I  said, quietly. Missy looked up at me.

"Promise that if you're going to do something, you'll talk to me first."

"Of course," she said. I kissed her lightly on the top of the head.

"We'll get in trouble for skiving" Missy said. I laughed.

"Since when did you care about getting trouble?" I asked.

"Since I decided to try pass my exams," Missy said. I smiled at her. I was glad she was trying to make something of her life.

"Why are you smiling?" she asked.

"Just proud of you," I told her. She went silent, like she was deep in thought.

"I'm scared Cal. Of trying," she said, eventually.

"What's the worst that could happen?" I tried to reassure her. She kissed me and I smiled. For the first time in a while, I wasn't stressed or angry. I was happy.