Chapter 1

I was up at the crack of dawn, even though it was a Saturday. I cursed my sleep schedule for not letting me sleep in. I looked at my new digital clock, it read 6:59. The news began at 7:15. That meant I had time to make a proper breakfast. I oiled the pan, and slapped 3 strips of bacon in. Bacon was great. I left it to fry while I grabbed the toast that just popped. Wincing as it burned my fingers, I rushed to the chopping board to spread butter on it. I went to the fridge to grab some eggs and- drat. I was out. I guess bacon and toast would have to do. I moved the bacon onto the plate, along with the toast, and walked over to the sofa to eat.

I sighed and turned on the TV. I was absolutely avid about the news. One computing company had promised to try hacking the news for an Aprils Fools joke, so I was particularly eager. I choked on my bacon as I saw a panicked reporter talking about zombies. Yes. Zombies.

"People are developing rabies-like symptoms and are trying to bite anyone they can catch. Reports are coming in from numerous countries, and they are all reporting the same thing. Hospitals are overwhelmed, and people are advised to stay inside-"

The reporter was cut off when deafening machine-guns fired several rounds into the "zombies". It didn't seem to affect them, the only thing that happened was that they were pushed back by the thrusts of the bullets.

Zombies? Really? How lame can you get? It was unlikely that the news would be hacked again, and with such an unbelievable story too...

I called Ivan, wondering if he had fallen for it.

"Hey Ace, did you see the news?" He had a mischievous undertone to his voice. Did he leave something here?

"Yeah. I can't believe it." I was hoping that he would fall for it, but my hopes weren't high. Ivan was smart.

"... Ace? You do know it's a joke right?" He spoke with concern in his voice, like I might need to go back to school soon.
I laughed, surprised that he thought I was that stupid.

"Obviously! I thought you fell for it." Then I realised how suspicious that sounded.

"Sure you did..." Said Ivan, extending the "u". Aaaaand my fears are confirmed.

"By the way, it's Fools Day. Take a look around your house..."

"Oh sh-"

I hung up, laughing. I didn't do anything. He was going to be running around his house for ages...

After finishing my breakfast, I cleaned up the house for a bit before heading out to the gym.

I was running on the treadmill with earphones in, listening to "The Sound of Silence" on repeat. Suddenly, my phone rang. I realised all too late that someone had changed my ringtone... An incredibly loud reverberating fart echoed across the gym. I answered the call with a grin. It was Emma.

"SUCKS TO BE YOU, EMMA! THE GYM'S EMPTY!"

"Aww, what the hell. The gym is never empty!"

I laughed loudly at her foiled attempt. "Hey Emma, aren't you supposed to be working?"

"Yeah, but we haven't received instructions. Some bast- uh, stupid guy slashed the boss's tires."

"Good to see that you are swearing like a drunken sailor anymore. So you're free from work?"

"Yep! We're all just chilling out since he hasn't told us anything."

"Nice! Hey, who's laughing in the background?"

"Oh, that's Thomas and his buddies. They're all giggling over the April fools prank on the news."

"You mean... Thomas and friends?"
That sent her off into gales of laughter that abruptly ended with the sound of a window shattering and a scream.

A voice I hadn't heard before yelled "HOLY SHIT IT'S REA-" before the line went dead.

"Emma? EMMA!" I desperately called her over and over again, only for it to go to voicemail.