Chapter 14

I stared at the impetuous young man. "Think about what you just said, and then say it again."

The Raider paused briefly, shrugged and then repeated his frankly idiotic sentence. "I said that we should just kill all the zombies. Why, do you want them around?"

I exhaled gustily, and sat down on a rock. As I massaged by temples, I began to explain just how impossible it would be to return to the old human era. "Because, we already tried that. Don't you remember the news outlets showing just how little bullets affected them? Hell, if our entire combined military couldn't stop them, how do you think 1000 survivors could?"

He went silent as the other Raiders paused to listen in. "Not only that, even if you did kill a zombie, you're immediately in danger. Blood splatter can infect you without you even knowing. And finally, could you really bring yourself to eliminate billions of zombies that still wear the masks of the people they once were? If you can kill billions of zombies, we have other issues."

I sighed again. I was not cut out for being a Raider... Half the people in my Group don't even follow basic safety!

*     *     *

"Why?" The Commander didn't seem to understand my reasoning for quitting. Maybe he should go out there and see how he likes it...

"I can't teach them. It's difficult enough to teach people that want to learn, but at least it's enjoyable then. These Raider Trainees clearly couldn't care less."

The Commander frowned, and regarded me through narrowed eyes. "Then what will you do? You do have to work around here."

"I could train with the Guard Group Leaders and Raider Group Leaders, and offer private training to anyone that wants it. They have to be willing to try though." I had already thought this through, and I didn't foresee many issues. I was very proficient in martial arts, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

"A bit unorthodox... I'll let it slide. You can do this for about 3 months, and we can see how you do."

A/N:
Happy New Year! Sorry it's a bit late, but I was too tired yesterday.

Next chapter:
142 views OR
14 votes.