Chapter 5

After all the stress, and several rides on the emotional rollercoaster, I was very hungry. I couldn't go out and get food, so what I had was all.

Plus, Ivan was STILL blocking the bloody stairs... I needed to stop inching around him. I went up to the attic for hopefully the last time, and began rooting around.

20 minutes later, I finally found what I was looking for. My fencing gear.  Slipping on the overalls, and the mask, I could finally get downstairs.

Boldly, I marched to the top of the stairs, and booted Ivan's disconnected head down the stairs.

Making sure that the gloves were securely on, I reached out and held the banister. I took slow cautious steps, I didn't need a broken neck.

I reached the bottom of the stairs, and mentally cheered myself. Now, it was time for food.

I quietly paced over towards the kitchen, putting my stealthy martial arts training into use. I had a feeling I was going to need them soon...

I opened the fridge and, voila! Half a loaf of bread left. That wasn't going to last long, but I had to make do with what I had.

I pulled out the bread, along with an unopened packet of ham, a nearly untouched block of cheese, and half a head of lettuce. There was no butter though... great.

I made myself a sandwich with the ingredients I had. I ate it slowly, thinking over my options. It was dry, but it worked.

I grabbed my running trainers, and padded over to the treadmill in the living room. I was going to need to be able to run if my car broke down.

I set it to 5, and started a brisk jog. After about 5 minutes I got bored of that, and turned it up to 7. This required a bit more effort, but nothing I couldn't handle. 8, not too bad. 9, and I'm practically sprinting.

I had never made it 5 minutes on 10 before, so this was looking good. I set it to 10, and my breathing grew heavy. My record was 4:19 on 10.

My legs started to ache something fierce, and I brought up my watch to look at the time. As I did that, my concentration slipped and I fell backwards onto the carpet.

BONK

"Ouch..." That hurt. I fell right on my butt, so my tailbone was bruised.

I decided to go back upstairs and grab the radio, saying hi to dead Ivan on the way.

The first words I made out were: Wainwright Military Base is still functioning...

Really? From what I had heard, guns didn't do much. It must be the tight organisation of the place. Well, it was going to be the only safe place so... Better start packing!

A/N:

I have pretty much 0 excuse for not uploading. Just gonna say:

Life sucks.