Sweet Words

James walked with Victor to the nearby bus station. They were alone. It wasn't the first time he was alone with Victor, but it was the first time since they became a couple.

"Are you ok?" James asked. In a moment of bravery, he took Victor's hand into his.

"Yeah," Victor said, taking out his phone.

"Are you sure?" James persisted, something was off, and he wanted to know what.

"I'm sure, yes."

James licked his lips, forcing himself to ignore the sound of his heart beating in his ears. Victor's moods made him nervous.

He kissed his hand.

"I...ugm, I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry for how I just... overwhelmed you with my feelings. I couldn't handle them anymore, so I poured them over you. It was selfish of me, and I should've waited a bit more."

Without a moment of hesitation, Victor answered, "It doesn't matter."

"It does - it does for me. It should've been better timed. Better prepared." James sighed, looking down at Victor's hand. He ran his thumb over the back of his palm, feeling its' coldness. Victor still had dry hands, but they were beautiful.

James kissed it again.

"Why?" Victor's voice dripped with something James didn't like.

He looked at Victor, searching his face for any clue about what had just happened. James couldn't understand the sudden shift. He didn't understand how he managed to fuck up again.

"What do you mean, why?"

"It's not like this relationship is meant to last. I'm not an idiot. It's all fun and games; then we fuck, we break up, we go on with our lives."

James dropped his hand and took a step back. "Is that what you think?" His voice was strained, almost cracking.

Victor's lack of reaction, his overall nonchalance when saying something so hurtful created something weird in him. It was anger, and shame, and something that resembled sharp knives spinning in his stomach.

"That's the summary of it, yes," Victor said.

It was difficult not to have a meltdown, not to scrape his head with his nails. He wanted to punch a wall. After everything, he was still being doubted. It wasn't fair.

"Why?" he asked, channeling every bit of Oliver he had in him. Oliver would've talked this out, so he tried to do the same. "Why? What have I ever done to make you believe that?"

"Oh, come on, don't act so insulted. I'm not offended. It is what it is."

"It's..." James shot his mouth and bit his bottom lip hard. He closed his eyes too, then took a deep breath. "I like you so much. I care about you so much. I'm willing to twist myself into a knot for you, and you think that I'm just in it for a fuck?"

Victor didn't answer.

"If that's the case, we can break up now and make things easier for everyone." James pressed the heels of his palms over his eyes. "Why did you even agree?"

He felt Victor's cold hands over his, moving them away from his eyes. James didn't want to cry, especially not now. Victor's eyebrows were knit together.

"Are you cr-"

"No." James pulled back.

"Look, I didn't mean to upset you."