Sorry

Coming up with a good way to apologize was hard. Saying I'm sorry didn't seem enough. I didn't mean to was a flat out lie. He did mean it. James had said those words fully intending on hitting a sore spot. Now he was left wondering why.

Victor didn't tell Ollie about their fight, because Ollie was pretty much his usual self, loving and cheery until the moment essays were bought into discussion. Nothing was more efficient at ruining Oliver's mood than the mention of literature. Fortunately, even though Victor was currently at Sebastian's house, giving Freckle snacks and taking him on walks around the house, he was still very much available to help with the dreaded essays. Ollie would call him even if he didn't need help, which James suspected it was most of the time.

This time, Ollie was procrastinating by shoving gummy bears on toothpicks, by color, of course, he wasn't a monster.

"So," Ollie started, lifting his head from his project, "are you going to tell me why you're so, ugh -" He waved his hand towards him.

"So? So what? So how?"

Ollie squinted at him and crossed his arms. "You know."

James sighed. He knew.

"I think I screwed up," James said. "I think I fucked up big time."

"Oh." Ollie raised his eyebrows. "What happened?"

James told him because he was unable to keep things away from Ollie, and he was also in need of someone to tell him what to do. Ollie listened, Ollie grunted, and frowned, and most definitely judged him. Harshly. He then threw a gummy bear at him. Ollie's aim was bad. The gummy ended on James' lap, so he picked it up and ate it.

"James, that's horrible."

"I know," James said. "I know! But what should I do now?!"

"Text him, tell him that you're sorry, that you love him, and that you want to talk to him when he's ready," Oliver instructed. "Let's see what he says, but maybe we can go there next weekend so you can talk properly, face to face."

James rubbed his head. He was nervous about sending the text to Victor. The possibility of rejection was twisting his insides. He would much rather accept a punch in the throat or a knee in the groin than live through that. But James picked up his phone and typed out a text. Then he deleted it. Then typed it again. He repeated this at least five times before groaning in frustration.

"What?" Ollie threw another gummy bear at him. This one landed on the bed. James ate this one too.

"I'm struggling. Nothing sounds good."

Oliver hummed and got up. He sat down next to James and touched his knee. "You have to apologize. You have to do more than that. James, what you said was awful, and knowing Victor, he won't forget them. Even if he forgives you, he'll remember those words for the rest of his life. A text right now is the least you can do."

"I know. I know, this is why it's so hard. I'm not the best with words." He sighed. "Don't worry, I'll do it."

"I'm going to call him and see what he's doing," Ollie said, picking up his phone. He put it on speaker.

"Oliver," Victor's voice came through, sounding like his usual calm self.

"Victor," Oliver said.

"Ollie," Vic repeated.

"Vic." Oliver chuckled. "What are you up to?"

"I'm on your porch, building palm-sized snow people. Freckle pissed on one."

Oliver laugh-yelled. "What?!"

"I'm on your porch, building palm-sized snow people. Freckle pissed on one," Victor repeated in the same tone. "I'll send you a picture."

"Please do. How many do you have?"

Victor paused for a second. "Around twenty? I think. They don't have eyes, or mouths, or arms, or buttons."

"They have cat pee." Ollie laughed.

A low grumble came through the phone. "Sadly. Freckle is awfully proud of himself. Now he's trying to eat one."

"Are you doing all right? Do you have enough snacks? Soda? You should drink some water from time to time, you know."

"I'm well enough, don't worry. I think I'll distract myself by buying tiny sweaters for Freckle."

Ollie's eyes went wide as if this was the best of news. "Get him a Pikachu one!" he exclaimed.

Victor chuckled. This was enough to make James laugh, fuck he missed him. "Matching outfits."

After a few more minutes of debating what kind of clothes would suit Freckle, they said their goodbyes, and Ollie once again declared his undying love.

"He sounds fine," Ollie said. "I mean, he always sounds fine. He doesn't sound angry though. Wait for a little and text him, ok? Because I'm not going to break up with Victor over your mistakes." Ollie looked back at his phone and smiled, then showed it to James.

Victor had indeed built himself a small army of small snowpeople, and one of them was awfully yellow.

James sighed. "We won't break up," he said, not feeling very sure of himself.

Later that evening he managed to type out a text. It was simple, but it was honest.

I'm sorry. I love you so much. Can we talk?

Author's note<3:

Freckle deserves all the tiny sweaters, right? Cute sweaters he can wear while murdering snowpeople and stealing boyfriends.I wonder what Victor will answer! What do you think?