And So It Starts

Victor took a deep breath and sighed. "You don't understand." He got up, rubbing his face. He started pacing around the room. "You don't understand." His voice was calm.

James' eyes followed his every movement, still sitting on the edge of the bed. "What don't I understand?"

Victor stopped in his tracks and turned towards him. "James." He closed his eyes. "James, I don't want to do this. Do you – do you understand? Do you get it? I don't want to."

"Ok," James said, standing. He walked next to Victor. "Ok. You don't have to."

"I don't want to."

"I know, I know." James cupped his face and kissed his forehead.

"You know, and yet you're telling me that this is the right thing to do. Fine. It's the right thing to do. I should do it. I realize that. But I don't want to. And you know what that does?"

James was left feeling helpless. He had no answer ready, no idea what he could say to deescalate the situation.

"I'll tell you. It makes me feel worse. So, can you leave it? Can we not talk about it?"

"Ok." James moved his hands on Vic's shoulders. "We don't have to, and we won't."

James still didn't agree with this, he still would've liked to reinforce his opinion, but he kept his mouth shut for once.

"I'm so tired of people acting like I'm unable to think for myself. And now look, I'll have to deal with this bullshit. Isn't it all so exhilarating?"

"I'm sorry."

"Are you?"

"Vic, there's no part of me that wants to see you struggle. I want you to be happy," James said, fixing Victor's hair gently. "I love you so much."

The front door opened, and Ollie walked in with his arms full of snacks. His eyes fell on Victor, and he beamed.

"You're back!" Oliver dropped everything right in front of the door and bounced his way into Victor's arms. "My handsome, pretty, smart boyfriend is back!"

"I'm back." Victor kissed the top of Oliver's head and hugged him back. "Is that lunch?" he asked, gesturing with his head towards the pile of chips and gummies.

"Yes. But only lunch. I think I want a light dinner. Maybe..." Ollie lifted his head, his eyes widening like those of a child staring at a Christmas tree, "Ice-cream."

"Great choice." Victor smiled, wrapping one of Ollie's curls around his finger. "You're very inspired."

"I'm a genius. We might all get sick, but it's a risk I'm willing to take." Ollie said. "Are you ok?"

Victor shrugged. He paused for a few seconds before telling Ollie about his mother contacting the police. Ollie listened, nodding as Victor spoke.

"Whatever you want to do, I'll support it," Ollie sounded absolutely certain.

"Thank you," Victor said.

"I'm serious!" Oliver exclaimed, forgetting to use his inside voice again.

Victor hummed, focusing his attention on Ollie's curls. "I think those snacks – I mean that healthy lunch needs to be put to good use."

"Chewed. Devoured." Ollie nodded wisely. "Movie?"

"Mind reader," Victor pinched Ollie by the tip of his nose. "Give me a second. I want to take a shower and change."

Ollie wiggled his eyebrows. "Can I wash your hair? I'm really good at washing hair. The best, really."

Victor puffed a laugh and nodded. "Ok, sure. But you can't get shampoo in my eyes. I'll cry."

Ollie gasped. "Thief. You can't use my line," he said, guiding Victor towards the bathroom.

James was left alone for about twenty minutes. He was amazed at how easy it was for Ollie to put a smile on Victor's face as if it was obvious to him what needed to be said. James didn't poses that skill. He wanted to, but somehow he always ended up putting his foot in his mouth.

The rest of the evening passed like a dream. Nobody was arguing or talking about the looming issue, nobody was acknowledging that something important was going to happen. They watched movies, from Victor's gory flicks that made Ollie yelp, to dramas that made Ollie tear up.

James didn't complain about the choices. He wanted to believe that everything was going to turn out fine, that the trial will be easy and swift and that Mason will be put behind bars. He wanted to be able to spend more nights like this, overstuffed with sugar and chips and soda, crammed in a small bed with his boyfriends.

The next day Victor's phone began blowing up. It started, James found himself thinking.

Author's note<3:

Are they - are they communicating? 😳 Kinky.