6. 𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗽𝗼𝗿𝗮𝗿𝘆 𝗳𝗶𝘅

vi

vi. temporary fix

The bitter taste of iron coated her tongue. Biting through a forming scab inside her lip, Nova busted the skin, sending warm, red blood to sting the back of her throat. It was a nasty habit she had. Though it'd gotten worse since the death of her mother. When Nova became overwhelmed with any kind of feeling she'd bite down on the inside of her lip until the stinging sensation became too strong and the taste of her own blood was unbearable. And over the past few days the inside of her mouth had become a playground for her teeth to sink into.

Her relationship with John B. had been found out. And though Sarah had told Lincoln most everything she knew about what was going on between his daughter and the boy from The Cut, Nova was expected to recount her own version of the details.

Of course, she left out bits and pieces of the story. Like the treasure hunt and the gold. But everything else her dad knew. From the party on Boneyard to running off to the mainland with him on a random afternoon, after just having to patch him up when she found him running from the police.

Nolan thought every bit of this was hilarious. Laughing hysterically when Lincoln awkwardly cleared his throat to ask if John B. and Nova were being safe in their... endeavors. Absolutely mortified, Nova had to explain that she and John B. were not having sex. Lincoln seemed pleased by that and dropped the subject altogether.

John B. was being discharged today. Yet another thing that had Nova's nerves spilling over the edge. He'd been made to stay another night so that the doctor could monitor his concussion. Most of those hours Nova spent rotating between the hospital and setting up his new room at the Cameron residence.

The idea of Ward being John B's guardian still didn't sit right with Nova. Not that she didn't trust his intentions. It was just going to be a weird adjustment, seeing John B. around her stomping grounds. And she knew it was going to be weird for him too. They'd lived such separate lives, and now, they were colliding.

Ward had called about twenty minutes ago to let Sarah know that he was finishing up with some paperwork they had for him at the hospital and then he'd be home. When Sarah called to let Nova know, she'd just stepped out of the shower.

She now stood at the top of the Cameron's' driveway. Tugging endlessly at the end hem of her daisy-printed sundress and scuffing the tips of her new converses on the cemented ground.