1. 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁! 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁! 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁!

i

i. fight! fight! fight!

Finally, the sky glowed over the dark grey clouds of the nighttime storm. The yellow hue sent by the sharp rays of the sun lit up the room with drifting curtains and old water bottles littering the bedside table. Warmth wrapped up the girl sprawled tiredly on the bed; comforter kicked to the foot of her bed in the heat of the summertime storm. Her arm dangled unknowingly off the edge of the bed and pillows spilled onto the floor.

It was slow at first. The eyelids of the once sleeping girl fluttered awake in the nuance of light and heat of the coming day. She blinked allowing her tired eyes to adjust to the light reflecting into her room from the glass of the paned balcony doors. She pressed the heel of her palm harsh against the eyes, making colors light up the blackness. As she willed herself in a sitting position her legs swung over the ledge of the queen-sized bed and landed on the white wood flooring beneath her feet.

She'd managed to fall asleep in the midst of howling storm. Screaming winds and razorblade like raindrops falling from the sky so quickly that she feared that it might shatter the glass of her bedroom windows. And with each strike of white lighting closing in on her house she feared that the next might be the one to hit it. She'd never liked storms. But the handful of melatonin gummy bears seemed to do her well.

"I see you slept well,"

Nolan Scott, the eldest of the Scott children, heir to the dynasty built by generations of Scott's before himself, spoke as he leaned lazily against the chilled refrigerator door. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, dripping from his hairline. He'd pressed a can of cold soda against his neck to help fight off the on-coming heat.

"Thanks to about a million of those sleeping gummies,"

Nova Scott, the youngest, grinned tiredly.

When she was young, Nova never could sleep through storms. She'd always end up between her mom and dad in their bed that was more than big enough to hold the three of them. Though, in an attempt to help cure her daughter of this fear, Tallulah Scott would make nights filled with drumming thunder one of fun and distraction. The four of them, Nova, Nolan, Tallulah, and their dad, Lincoln Scott, would make forts in the living room and eat sweet snacks until the early morning hours, when they'd all finally fall asleep as the storm subsided.