2. 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗺

ii

ii. lightning storm

There was a storm coming. Raindrops fell against the glass windows, racing down with every huff of the prickling cold wind. Nova's body had started to ache. Her ankles blistered. Lip stained red with blood, and the bright pink scratch running the length of her thigh burned. And her thoughts were taken with each new boom of thunder that sounded from the sky over them.

A storm was coming.

Sitting in the backseat with her, JJ had noticed the dried blood running down Nova's thigh. The scratch was not one easily hidden when wearing a skirt as short as Nova is. He'd seen it as soon as she raised her leg to step back inside the vehicle. He looked at it, noting the blood, then his eyes lifted to meet hers. He was worried.

"It doesn't hurt much," said Nova, noticing his lingering stare. But she was lying, the broken skin burned like a bitch.

JJ nodded; his lips pressed into a tight line. It was just a scratch, he'd tell himself. He'd seen a lot worse. So, why was he so worried?

Perhaps it was because he'd come to feel responsible for Nova. In the absence of his best friend, he'd taken on the promise of watching over her - not that he needed to. There was a lot that JJ had learned about Nova in the small months that they'd been spending together. One thing he learned was that Nova Scott was more than capable of being her own guardian. She was strong. She was independent. And smart. All with a dash of mischievousness.

JJ almost scoffed aloud at his own thoughts just then. So easily lying to himself. He was no saint. His intentions were not entirely pure. JJ knew why he was worried about her. He's known from the moment she stood inside a hot tub with him, letting him cry on her shoulder.

And no matter how hard he tried; JJ couldn't shake that feeling.

The area they parked was eerily empty. Quiet, dark roads. Silent sidewalks. The streetlights flickered a low, orange glow through the darkened alleyways. The wind had started to howl as it quickened its pace. The thunder became closer and more frequent. Dark clouds covered the shine of any star. The scene was practically picked from a horror movie.

In leaving the safety of Kiara's car, Nova followed close behind Pope, who'd decided to take the lead. Leading them through the quiet streets. Nova stayed on his heels the entire time, fearing that he might once again want to become a flight risk and run off from them. Then he stopped. Looking high over the fence that stood as a barrier. A newly built wooden fence that Nova couldn't see over without stepping onto an empty crate sitting alone in the alley.

"Nice camera," JJ scoffed, making fun of the large piece of equipment Pope carried with him. "Where'd you dig up that relic?" he asked, and Pope rolled his eyes. "Why don't you just use your phone?"