CHAPTER TWELVE

Alex and the rest of Percy's hunt were relaxing around the campfire, listening to Leo and Jason debate whether it was cooler to breathe fire or spit electricity. Everyone was extremely engaged in watching the debate, apart from Piper and Calypso. The two girls looked at each other and rolled their eyes at their partners' idiocy. They were about to interrupt when the voice of their leader sounded in everyone's heads.

Guys, it appears I won't be back for a good while. Remember the base we were talking about? Well, go to Kansas -sorry, Jason- and find a good place to make it.

Everyone snickered at Jason's expense. The son of Jupiter simply smiled wryly and began to pack his stuff, signalling to Alex to reply.

Not sure how exactly to respond, Alex just tried to convey some of his thoughts as if it were a conversation. I'm guessing if I just think stuff, you'll hear it. How come you won't be back? He asked curiously.

I need to do a hunt with Artemis, Percy replied, his voice in their heads sounding noticeably annoyed.

Everyone was silent for a minute, pretending to offer their condolences. But after a single snicker from one of the younger members of the hunt -Alex wasn't sure who- the entire group burst into cackling laughter at their patron god's predicament.

Finally, they all managed to compose themselves again. Alex was thankful that thoughts were only transmitted through the link if they wanted them to be, otherwise Percy would probably have been absolutely furious at their mirth.

Well, good luck anyway, bro! Pollux thought, his voice in their heads still having an undercurrent of laughter in it.

This is so cool! It's like a group chat for our Hunt! Sophia's voice squealed in all of their heads, making them all wince. They all glared at her at once, but the daughter of the love goddess only shrugged.

Seeing her lack of reaction, Nico began one of his favourite pastimes, teasing the girl mercilessly. Why do we have a daughter of Aphrodite, ugh, am I right? Well, apart from you, Piper. You're cool. He thought into the link. He could have just said out loud, but he knew Percy was likely need some relief to cheer him up.

That's it! You are dead! Sophia thought-shouted, beginning to chase after the son of Hades with a piece of firewood raised aloft.

No, I am *Prince Of The* Dead. Get it right. Nico continued, chuckling. He only stopped to glare at Don the Faun when he saw the shifty character inch towards his belongings.

Ugh! Sophia finished with a huff, flipping down on the ground. Everyone chuckled as Percy cut off the mental link, envisioning the scowl that was probably making itself at home on his face. Alex got up and stretched.

"Okay, everyone!" He called. "Let's move out!"

With that, he walked over to his own tent and pulled out one of the tent pegs. As soon as he did so, the top of the peg opened and the rest of the tent magically shrunk and was sucked into it, leaving Alex to just put the peg in his pocket. He looked around to see everyone else doing the same, and Tyson literally curb stomping the fire to put it out. Alex's eyes widened at the fearsome sight, but then he shook his head and turned to Sadie and Oscar, who had been napping, but were now looking at him with their wide, intelligent eyes.

Scratch that.

Their wide, intelligent, red eyes.

Alex was surprised every time he saw them. To be honest, he really needed to figure out what was going on with the dogs. Was someone possessing them or something? The glow wasn't really very threatening, but it was still rather unnerving for Alex to see him and Percy's canine companions with red eyes that he didn't know the origin of.