11, An Insatiable Examiner

When one prepares a dish, it must be done in an absolutely perfect manner. The ingredients must be freshly sourced and ripe, no matter how troublesome (and oftentimes life-threatening) they are to retrieve. They must be chopped, minced, diced, baked, churned, drowned, grilled, fried, seasoned, and sauced to perfection. And last but certainly not least, the meal must be a pristine display for the eyes, a visual masterpiece to match the fine delicacy of its taste. At least, that's how it ought to be, according to Ms. Menchi Diazwalez, single-star gourmet hunter and quite probably the finest Gourmet Hunter this side of the planet. It is truly a shame this particular set of rookie hunters have no skill nor the slightest interest in a field so ambitious, demanding, and delicious.

Unfortunately for them, the new phase of the exam had a twist to it: it required one to cook a meal so delicious, it would even satisfy Menchi's exigent and most insatiable palate. Indeed, when first introduced to the challenge proposed by Menchi and her towering partner Buhara Cowando (another world-class Gourmet Hunter), many of the rookies felt disappointment, confusion, or humor in it. Or a combination of all three.

Some of them mocked each other of how their toughened figure would fit into a white chef's apron. Or how they would cook 'mummy's meal', for the rest of them to enjoy. Menchi huffed at the sight.

Could this crowd be anymore insufferable?

Below the platform of instructions, the rookie hunters began conjuring up ideas of what they could possibly gain them entrance to the next phase of the exam. That is, the quickest way to get this inane phase over with. Y/n's finger braced his chin.

A cooking challenge, huh?

"Can anyone here cook?" Leorio asked his friends.

"Nu-uh," Killua said, placing two arms behind him.

"Nope," Kurapika said, shaking his head.

"I can cook a little," Y/n said, remembering several dishes he had somewhat successfully made.

"So can I!" Gon said.

"Oh, you guys can cook?"

"For sure! I can make rice with a raw egg on top!" Gon said cheerfully.

"Well... I guess that counts as cooking," Kurapika said warmly.

"Yeahh, you'll have to make it for us one day," Leorio added.

Y/n closed one eye and crossed his arms.

"Eh... You can make rice?"

"Yeah! Aunt Mito congratulates me every time!"

"My rice is... inconsistent. It gets... crunchy. Sometimes it's delicious, though."

"Hmm... You're probably leaving it in the fire too long."

"Ahhh..." Y/n replied.

" Y/n replied