20. A Kurta Pastime

"Bonobo apes of the east."
Leorio sunk into his wooden chair with a glass of booze clinging to his hands. It was their last day of training before their adventure to retrieve Killua from the clutches of the Zoldycks. They had all trained hard and they celebrated with a nice dinner and some mead and tea, before they were the next day to the Estate.

"They called them that because they were super chill, they just laid around all day had sec-"

Y/n covered Leorio's mouth with both hands. Kurapika almost choked on his drink.

Gon squinted and cocked his head to one side, curiously. It was past his bedtime.

Y/n removed his hands from Leorio and cleared his throat.

"That's a derogatory term used on us from outsiders, Leorio."

Kurapika turned very slowly with a glare to Leorio.

"Oh," Leorio said sheepishly. "Sorry."

"Anyway we didn't laze idly all day. We were peaceful fighters. We studied the artistic martial arts. There was a great interest in education and philosophy."

Y/n looked at the tips of his shoes.

"Though, all my real combat experience has been outside of the tribe."

The rest of them eyed each other, weary of the gloomy energy.

"Eh- what did they teach you there?" Gon asked quietly.

Y/n looked up.

"Oh well, we studied mind training, which was intense training of manipulation of the mind both ours' and others', dojo training, where we studied aikido, and peace training, where we learned to gain complete domain of our emotions. It was useful, if you never get mad, your number of fights lessen dramatically."

"That's, uh, pretty cool," Leorio said.

"That sounds terrible," Kurapika said, scrunching his nose.

"Despite how happy they seemed, they were pretty abusive... I was beaten for "inciting violence" once."

Leorio's brows raised incredulously.

Kurapika turned away. Unbeknownst to the rest, Kurapika's eyes had a slight tinge of crimson to them.

How can he say that so calmly? He thought.

"That one time I thought I'd die," Y/n said, and chuckled in a shrill mocking tone.

"That sounds just as strict as Killua's family was to him," Gon added, and his gaze floated down to his plate of empty food.

"That's true. It would make sense that an assassin family's training would be so rigorous. I guess we have more in common than I thought, ha ha." Y/n said, shuffling Gon's coarse black hair.

"Argh, let go of me!" he said, even though he secretly liked his hair being patted.

"Wa! You have so much hair, and it's so spiky!" Y/n said cheerfully.

"Let me see!" Leorio pleaded, digging his hands into Gon's hair with Y/n.

"AHH, both of you! It tickles!" Gon squirmed to the side and they all laughed heartily.

Kurapika slammed his tea down onto the table.

The force of his wrath, in addition to the weight of the cup, broke a crack into the wooden surface.

"Kurapika?" Gon asked.

They all stopped instantly and stared in surprise at Kurapika.

"Kurapika..." Y/n began, before he was cut off.