21. Apology and Promise

Y/n placed his hand atop Canary's brow. Canary's anguished expression was still on her face, and with her soft hair framing her sleeping face it looked like she lay in a warm bush of black flowers atop the grass.

"She's burning up," Y/n said, looking at Leorio for help.

Leorio's full attention was on Canary now, his hands working efficiently to patch her head up. He bent over her as Y/n handed him tools. He lifted her head gently, and wrapped the white bandage against the place on her head where Killua's mother had aimed. Y/n sat with his chin on his hands crossed over his knee, his fingers touching his lip pensively.

"She'll be fine. No doubt about it, Y/n," Leorio said reassuringly.

"I just hope she doesn't get fired," he concluded, setting her head down at last.

"But Leorio," Y/n said quietly, "Zoldyck butlers don't just get fired."

He sighed with a dejected expression.

"I know."

Suddenly, Y/n and Leorio's heads snapped up. A butler had appeared before them, without them even realizing it. Y/n and Leorio were quickly on their feet, waiting for anything. This butler they hadn't seen before, and he stood as erect as any Zoldyck butler, staring at Leorio and Y/n with small eyes. His hair was swept to a shiny and very professional ponytail. He said nothing until Leorio opened his mouth to speak, to which he was promptly interrupted.

"We thank you for your service, but we'll take it from here."

The butler began walking past them towards Canary.

Leorio spoke up.

"Hey, wait just a minute! You can't just take her away! She needs to rest-!"

The butler's face moved eerily close into Leorio's.

"And rest she will," the butler took one glance at Y/n's protective glance and disengaged.

"If it hadn't been for y'all, Canary wouldn't be in this mess in the first place," he said, lifting Canary up to his shoulder.

Before Leorio could get very far in his counter-complaints, the butler interrupted him again.

"Regardless, Master Kikyo did not specify that Canary would be terminated, so it's unlikely to happen.. if that's what you're worried about."

He adjusted the girl on his shoulder.

"I... appreciate you are concerned about her needs."

This had been the first time the butler hadn't spoken in we's. Leorio and Y/n looked at each other, realizing the butler had been listening to their previous conversation.

"What is your name?" Y/n asked.

"Scanta," he replied, as he began walking, "and you must be Y/n and Leorio."

"That's right."

"Friends of Killua's— who would've thought... I'll be glad to escort you to the butler's quarters, where Master Killua is sure to be waiting for you all."

//

Y/n's face shone in awe into the heights above. The lights from the chandeliers danced around his eyes, brushing his nose, and kissing his lips. As a boy raised in what were essentially huts, this amount of splendor was more magnificent than anything he'd ever seen.

"You'd ought to grow accustomed to this level of luxury, Y/n."

"Kurapika," Y/n exclaimed, still distracted by the chandeliers and intricate furniture of the Zoldyck butler.