19. A Thousand Words

As the sun caressed his cheeks, Y/n closed his eyes gingerly to the sky. Images of his past flashed in his mind like shards of glass. He breathed out slowly, trying to push those pieces of memories aside as his hands were placed on his lap with thumbs and index fingers touching, making a bird-shaped triangle.
There was still so much he didn't remember, but just the memory of his brother, someone he once loved, and the knowledge he was most likely dead and gone, hurt him to his core. With the added mountain of  disappointment failing the hunter exam had been, he was struggling with the pains of life overall.
What also hurt were the injuries lying under his hospital gown. Though the doctors were amazed at how fast he had been recovering, they insisted he stay till the next morning.
It was only when he sensed another presence that he jolted out of his trance and his head swung around like an owl's only to meet Kurapika's face.

"I didn't mean to interrupt," he said.

His voice sounded like wind chimes to his ears after not hearing it for so long, which had only been about a week, but still. He could feel a release of adrenaline to his senses, and fluttering in his gut. He couldn't help but allow a smile to overtake his face.

"Kurapika," he said quietly, "what a lovely surprise."

He took the space on the bench next to his as he breathed out.

"How have you been?" Kurapika asked.

"Only minor injuries. A broken wrist that's already healed. No concussion. I'll be released tomorrow. My throat still aches, but... totally normal stuff."

Kurapika's shoulders relaxed.

"I am so relieved to hear that. Rest assured, we are looking forward to your dismissal, despite how... scenic it is here," he giggled, looking at the expansive green courtyard, spotted with pink blooms and a fancy blue fountain with rushing water in the center, making music with the birds that chirped in the breeze. Activity in the courtyard was minimal, and it was as if it was only the two of them there, alone together.

"How has the exam gone?" Y/n asked, trying hard to not show his enthusiasm.

Really, he was ever so eager to learn what had happened.

"I asked to watch the last phase of the exam, but they wouldn't allow it," Y/n said, shaking his head.

Kurapika stared at him cautiously as he spoke.

"Well... I passed."

"Really?!"

"Well, you know..."

"That's wonderful news!" Y/n pulled on his sleeve. "Show me your license!"

He giggled softly in surprise.

"I thought you might be angry with me... you know."

Y/n waved the idea away with a hand.

He stared at him for a second, then scrambled to retrieve his license from somewhere in his bright blue tabard.

"This is actually how I was able to enter the premises to see you."

He handed it to Y/n shyly. Their fingers touched briefly, to which they both said nothing.

Y/n took the license between his fingers as Kurapika looked on.

It was glossy and bright sky blue, with the mighty double X's of the Hunter's Association logo printed on one side.

It read, "ONLY THE ORIGINAL PROPRIETOR IS ELIGIBLE FOR HUNTER BENEFITS. IN CASE OF LOSS, THIS CARD WILL NOT BE REISSUED."

Y/n ran his middle finger down the edge as he whistled softly.