6, When The Flowers Bloom

Sometime later, the storm had finally arrived.

The captain of the ship made an inspection round of the ship to calculate exactly how many dropouts there was this year. So far, the sleeping quarters looked like a shaken bag of trail mix.

"Maybe next year we'll actually have some actual contestants," he said, before noticing the small boy who had predicted the storm was helping a sick passenger.

"Try these herbs, chew 'em real good, okay?"

A blonde boy shifted comfortably while reading in a hammock, undisturbed by the storm.

Away from him, another boy meditating like a monk, trying to balance on one foot. He could hear his chant under his breath: "...after the storm is when the flowers bloom..."

A man next to him sat munching on an apple shifted funnily from side to side.

Hm, maybe we have something here, after all, the captain thought.

"You four, follow me!"

"My name's Gon!" he said, after being asked to introduce themselves.

"Hi, I'm Y/n."

"Call me Kurapika."

"The name's Leorio."

"Good," the captain answered, "now why do you want to become hunters?"

"Hey, you're not an examiner! I'm not telling you nothin!" Leorio said.

Gon and Y/n looked at him curiously, while Kurapika shut his eyes in annoyance.

"Just answer the question, dumbass." The captain said, irritated.

"I will!" Gon said. "Because my dad's a Hunter. I want to know why it was so important for my dad to be one. That's why I left Whale Island."

The captain looked at him, interested.

Y/n gave Gon a little grin.

"First, I want to travel the whole world; I also want to gather artifacts from my tribe, since they were all lost years ago. I want to recover them and restart a community that will accept anyone who needs the help," Y/n said.

Kurapika looked at him with an analyzing gaze, only to turn away when he noticed.

"An artifact Hunter, yep, those are pretty common. You've got a more noble cause than looking for only riches, I guess."

"Hey! You guys don't have to tell him anything!" Leorio told Gon and Y/n.

"But he asked," said Gon.

"Yeah," Y/n agreed, "who cares?"

"Oh get with the program you two! It's us versus him and I'm not telling him why I'm here."

"I have to concur with Leorio," Kurapika said.

"Gr, That's Mr. Leorio, you brat! Get it right!" Leorio exclaimed.

"I cannot reveal why I am here." he continued, "I have my share of secrets. Deep secrets I don't intend to reveal. The matter is simply too personal."

"Ganzo, let the committee know we got two more dropouts, the kid and the monk made it through."

"Eh- yes, sir"

Both Kurapika and Leorio looked up, shocked.

"Wait what do you mean?" Leorio stammered.

"You still haven't figured it out huh?" the captain said.

Y/n leaned over to Kuraipka and Leorio.