2, Exam of A Lifetime

The smell of flavorful, spicy food rushed through the streets into Y/n's nose as he hit the stone streets of the city of Grandeiro.

In the afternoon sun, the coastal city was warm and inviting and upon reaching the dock, Y/n sat down to take a rest. Looking at the vast sea he placed his hand on his chin. After all this time since the day he returned to a burned and looted pueblo, Y/n hadn't ever been closer to finding out what happened to his tribe. It was like a strike of lightning flashed in the sky and just like that, the tribespeople had disappeared like the Roanoke colony.

He tried to remember, though his memories were hazy. He thought of the childhood hideout in the woods he woke up in, returning to the Emerald Tribe, and finding nothing besides empty homes, empty stores, and the empty dojo he studied at. He shook his head, returning to the present. He felt eyes on him. He had to stay alert.

He shook his coat off his shoulders. He took out a slip of paper and a small pen he carried. He scribbled a note and signed it with the Emerald Tribe emblem at the bottom. He swiped his finger across the logo pensively. The sun danced on his cheeks as he put his hands up, measuring the time. Soon, the ship would arrive at the dock. Y/n took a deep breath and began walking towards the harbor. He felt the presence behind his.

    "Hey, you!" a voice called. Y/n turned with an emotionless expression.

"I-Uh, I mean, sir," he corrected. A tall man in his late twenties stood over him, Y/n's old tribal coat hanging off his finger. 

"You forgot this," he said, looking prideful.

He looked up at him, "No I didn't." he said plainly.

"Oh, well, wait- I saw you had it on!" he accused.

"So you've been watching me," he said.

"I- well- when you say it like that..." his face flushed.

"You're not very good at this are you?" he said, nearing his face to his. He caught a glimpse of how close Y/n's face was and nearly shrieked. Y/n only smiled warmly.

"Uh-so this isn't yours?" he said, now grimacing at the old coat.

"It was. I left it on the bench to be collected."

"Huh?" he said, confusedly.

Y/n only pointed to a small pocket in the front.

He slipped his hand into it, pulled out the note, and read it.

"THIS COAT IS YOURS

FROM ME TO YOU

IT HAS NO DEFECTS

BEYOND ITS YEARS OF WEAR

CARE FOR IT WELL I BEG OF YOU!"

"I knew it'd be a drag to carry it

"I knew it'd be a drag to carry it. So I left it."

"Huh," he replied, weirded out a bit.

Y/n narrowed his eyes and read him. He had been taught to read people well back home. It was a flawless method.

He could only read strong colors of warm energy in his heart. A generous heart, he thought. Along with, of course, a pervy purple that many men had. Regardless, he wasn't dangerous.

He placed the coat back on a bench and they began to walk.

"It's a custom where I come from. So what's your name?"

"Leorio!" he said, grinning. 

"But you can address me as Mr. Leorio, as I assume you're younger than me," he said beaming.

Y/n gave no response in regard to the facts that came along with that request. 

"Alright, Mr. Leorio. I'm  Y/n. It's a pleasure to meet you." 

Y/n gave him a small smile and turned ahead.

I'll never use his name again if I have to use "Mr." in front of it, he thought, smiling to himself.

"Are you headed to the docks for tonight?" he asked.

"I'm taking a ship pretty soon, actually," Y/n replied.

Does that mean... Leorio thought. "Are you taking the Hunter Exam?!"

"I am," Y/n replied.

"Oh, well- take no offense to that, it's just...I wouldn't expect someone like you to- " he realized what he had said and looked away, ashamed.

Y/n began to laugh. Leorio looked surprised.

"I get it, I'm sorry for being so cold. It's been so long since I spoke to someone new. I'm taking the exam and I'm ready for the world of hunters."

Leorio sighed. "That's good to hear, I'm sorry for making any assumptions based on your looks."

"Well..." Y/n added, "As a matter of fact, I didn't know you were taking the exam. You don't look to be dressed the part," he said, pointing to his suit.

Leorio smirked pridefully. "Well, Y/n I make sure to always be dressed impeccably. Dressing for the job I want, if you will."

Y/n smiled at him, bewildered at his odd little antics. "Interesting..." was all he said.

Leorio beamed and turned to the dock as they approached. "Look, that's the ship!" he exclaimed.

"I have to admit, I'm really excited," Y/n said, grinning.

"Well, let's go then!" Leorio said, pulling him along.

"Wait, just a minute. Look," Y/n said, staring intently and satisfied behind, his eyes squinting in the setting sun.

Leorio turned and saw a child approach the bench where Y/n's coat was. After reading the note, they tossed the paper aside and wrapped themselves in the jacket which covered them nearly to their toes. Leorio looked in admiration at Y/n and he smiled back.

"Awesome, right? Let's go!" he said and sprinted ahead.

"H-hey wait up!" Leorio howled, as he stomped after him.

Did you know?

The Roanoke colony was a group of 115 English colonists who arrived on the American continent in 1587 and mysteriously disappeared. No trace of the cause of their disappearance could be found. Spooky!