CHAPTER FOUR

carmen stood in the bathroom putting on a little mascara next to abby, max, norah, and ginny

carmen stood in the bathroom putting on a little mascara next to abby, max, norah, and ginny. ginny however wasn't doing her makeup, not that she even needed it. carmen thought that she was beautiful.

"ok, what do we think? kylie?" max asked the girls for input on her unblended contour. "mm. trixie mattel." abby replied.

"girl, you gotta blend!" norah exclaimed, exaggerating her words. "ok, help me cause auditions for wellsbury's original production of 'sing-sing: a musical behind bars' is today, and i have to beat out riley nicholas for the lead. and possibly carmen, if you try out that is." max replied.

"don't worry about me max. dance is already a lot right now and i don't know if i'll even be trying out this year. maybe for an extra i don't know. we'll see." carmen reassured her friend.

"ok, my dude, you are putting so many toxic chemicals in your face." abby touched max's chin. "i like toxic chemicals. give me all the toxic chemicals. i've accepted that everything that sparks joy is cancerous, and i love string cheese. i'm embracing death." max dramatized. "ok." abby mumbled in response.

"ew string cheese is so nasty." carmen replied laughing at max's comment. max pushed her shoulder lightly and laughed with her. "there you go." norah said done with her contour. "oh, now i'm cheekboned." max squealed touching it. "i really am very good." norah replied.

"ginnyyy, want norah to do your contour? she's, like, crazy good at it." max offered. "um.." ginny replied just when norah cut in. "i don't think i have the right color." that made carmen a little angry but she just pretended she didn't hear because she knew she wouldn't want ginny to embarrass her.

"no that's definitely too light." max replied searching for something that could be ginny's shade. "i'm like if casper and snow white had a baby."

"it's doesn't matter. i don't really wear makeup." ginny said. as the girls started talking about collar bones carmen turned to ginny. "i wish i was the same way. i first started wearing makeup when i was like six. my mom's doing of course. she was all like 'ma petite fleur, la beauté, c'est la pouvoir.' which is kinda rude now that i think back to it cause i was only six and i grew up way too soon. but, what can you do? i guess. i don't know."

ginny agreed with carmen's mom. beauty was power. carmen could get anything she wanted while she bats her cartoon eyes. those eyes could give anyone butterflies. they darted out of the bathroom when they saw that sophie sanchez came in. " so that was sophie sanchez." abby dragged out. "she's a senior." norah added. "she's done cocaine, and she's got the best ass in school. she hangs out in blue with the popular seniors, then there's deaf kid yellow." she explained and then pointed to the yellow section of the hallway.

'hi, how was your summer?" carmen signed to him. she had learn it because of their dad after being with marcus and being friends with max for so long. 'good, thank you.' he signed back. 'good,' she signed back with a smile.