"Esqueleto"

Y/N POV

I was in my room listening to 'Do I wanna Know' and practicing my cobra strike. Miguel was doing the same in his room. I was almost done when grandma knocks on the door and tells me that dinner is ready. "I'll be out in a second!" I say. The song ends and I go out to dinner and start eating. Grandma starts talking in Spanish, "Look who's here." I turn to  see mom at the door. I jump up and hug her, "Hi mom." "Hey, y/n," she says hugging me back tightly. We break the hug and I sit back down, "Hey, guys. Mm, it smells good in here." Grandma replies in Spanish, "I made chicken in chili sauce." "Thank you, Mom. I'm sorry I'm late again. Things are crazy at the hospital," Mom says while kissing Miguel on the forehead. "It's ok. You're short-staffed. But we saved you some food," Miguel tells Mom. Mom changes the subject to one I've been dreading, "So, did you decide what you're going as for the Halloween dance?" "Well, I was thinking Deadpool, but the costumes a little pricey." "Well, how much is it?" "Oh, it doesn't have to be Deadpool." Mom waves it off, "You want a Deadpool costume? We'll make you a Deadpool costume." Grandma gives a sarcastic laugh and says, "No. This isn't a sweatshop." I laugh until Mom turns to me and says, "So, y/n what are you going as?" I shift in my seat and say, "Well, I wasn't really planning on going." "What?!" Mom and Miguel say at the same time. "I just don't feel like going." "Y/n you have to go. I can't go without you." "I'm sure you could," I say taking a sip from my water. Miguel leans over and whispers, "Eli will be there." I choke on my water and say, "I don't like him like that, he's just cute okay. And besides, I don't want to go anyways." "I know you don't want to go sweetheart, but it'll be good for you. Maybe you'll finally make some friends, "Mom says. "I have friends, Demetri and Eli, " I say. I see Miguel smirk out of the corner of my eye so I kick him under the table. "You know what I meant. Maybe you'll make some girl friends." "Fine, I'll go. But can I dress up as something simple, please?" I ask Mom. "Ok...Miggy, what happeded to your hand?" Mom asks him. "Uh...." Miguel stutters. "You don't want to know," Grandma answers. We glance at each other confused.

The next day at training Miguel and I practice our punches. Sensei comes from his back room and says, "Hey, you don't happen to have any friends who wanna learn karate, do you? Aw, what am I saying? You don't have any friends . Sorry." I scoff and say, "We have friends." "Sure you do kid, "Sensei says. Miguel turns and asks, "Hey, Sensei, when are we gonna learn to do some kicking? I was watching this Youtube video of a guy breaking boards, and it looked badass." "Yeah, no shit. Kicking is badass. But you're not ready. Besides, if I don't get more students in here, I won't be able to teach you anything." "You've thought about advertising, right?" I ask. "Yeah, duh. Of course," Sensei says. 

A few days later at lunch the counselor was making an announcement. "Cyber bullying is no laughing matter. Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face. I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity." People started whispering about Eli and he covered his lip. I grabbed his other hand and squeezed it to show him that it was okay. He glanced at me and nodded letting me know he was fine. The counselor continued, "But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe space for all students. If you're sick of getting bullied, our karate dojo's looking for recruits," Miguel said. "Yeah, right. You hear that Eli? A little karate training , and you're gonna kick some major ass," Demetri says. "I'm serious Demetri, "Miguel said. "Yeah. Our Sensei's the real seal. I'm sure we could get you both discounts, " I added. "As enticing as that sounds, I think we'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control than getting hit in the face." The counselor continues, "Oh, and one last thing. While we're all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive. For example, instead of a 'sexy nurse', maybe try 'gender-neutral hospital employee'." After that I sorta zoned out for after that until Miguel clears his throat. Eli, Demetri, and I look at him confused. "What?" I ask. He glances down and I look and flush red. I was still holding Eli's hand. We both quickly let go and I glare at Miguel.