Chapter Seven

"Read chapters twelve through fourteen over the weekend and come back prepared for a quiz on Monday."

A low sigh escapes my lips as I pack up my laptop and notes while the professor excuses us. It's the last class of the day and I'm relieved that this week is finally over, but the looming stress of all the homework I need to undertake sets a tension in my shoulders that won't be going away soon.

It's not just the homework that I'm stressed over. As I walk out of the classroom among the few dozen other students, I pull my phone out and skim over the many texts Ghost has sent me over the week that I've dutiously ignored.

The first few are just asking me what I'm up to but after getting no reply they've turned more worrisome, asking if I'm alright or if somethings wrong. My fingers itch to text back, but I know I can't. I know I need to appease Brody and cut Ghost out completely.

Hopefully he'll get the point soon and stop trying. It seems he's starting to realize as the last text he sent was one day ago. Nothing so far today. That both relieves and saddens me.
I decide not to think about it as I bury my phone away, walking through campus to get to the dorms. It's nice out today, warm and sunny. Maybe Brody would like to have a picnic or something to kick off the weekend. That would definitely raise my spirits.

As I walk I notice Liss a short distance ahead of me. She's standing next to the walking path and talking with some girl. They both seem to be engrossed in the conversation and the closer I get I begin to wonder whether I should call out a greeting or just walk by silently. If she notices me and I say nothing, will she think that I'm snubbing her?

Not wanting to be rude, I smile once I'm close enough and speak, hopefully loud enough for her to hear, "Hi, Liss."

Her eyes skim over to me, pausing her conversation as she looks me up and down like I'm an alien. Her friend also glances my way with a curious stare while I stand there awkwardly, quickly regretting my decision to be outgoing.

"Uhm, hi?" She remarks with narrowed eyes, as though she isn't quite sure who I am.

"Em." I remind her, placing a hand on my chest as I feel my cheeks heat up. It's always embarrassing not to be remembered by someone, "Brody's girlfriend."

She slowly nods her head and mutters, "Right."

There's an uncomfortable pause. I shuffle on my feet, uncertain whether I should say anything else or just continue on my way. I feel completely stupid for stopping to talk to her. She clearly doesn't want to be friends.

"Well, I—uh, guess I'll see you around." I finally decide, taking a few steps back as I meekly lift my hand up in farewell.

"I guess." She replies dismissively, already turning back to her friend, who also gives me one final look before turning away.

I swallow past the dryness in my throat and continue my way, happy to no longer be facing them as my cheeks are still flaming with embarrassment. As I leave, they resume a conversation and I can't help but pick up the first little bit of it.

"That's Brody's girlfriend?"

"I know right."

"Oh my god, she's so..."

I get too far to hear the rest of what they say, but I have a feeling it isn't anything flattering. My eyes sting with the urge to cry but I push it away as I quickly scurry through campus and to the dorm building.

I enter just in time to find Annie pulling on some flashy heels while done up in nice makeup and a tight dress. She flashes me a quick smile and nods as I kick off my sneakers and drop my backpack off my shoulders.