Chapter Thirty-Eight

The rain is torrential when I run outside. I'm numb to it, though, as my feet pound against the wet pavement and take me away from The Scrap as quickly as they can.

I can hear Ghost's voice faintly calling out to me. It's hard to see even five feet ahead through this rain, which is probably why he doesn't catch up to me. Maybe he doesn't even try. All I know is I keep running.

I regret not having my car with me. I regret not being able to get away faster. I regret my thin sweater and torn jeans which are doing nothing to provide me warmth from the bitter cold.

When I finally feel far enough away, I slow my pace, my side cramping from the excursion and my legs ready to give out. I'm not sure how far I ran, but when I look around to gain my bearings, all I can make out is the neon glow of an all night diner.

I shuffle across the street, my shoes squelching with water as I hug my arms around my middle. I'm shivering and dripping everywhere when I enter the mostly empty diner. My steps squeak across the linoleum floor and I plop down with a heavy thud into a booth in the back.

My phone is vibrating in my pocket. I pull it out and set it on the table just so it can dry out, but my heart twists seeing his name on the screen. The vibrating stops, adding the missed call to the long list with all the others.

"What can I get started for yah?" A woman is suddenly asking me, seemingly appearing out of nowhere. She looks bored and tired and ready to be over with her shift. She barely bats an eye at my drenched appearance.

Knowing I don't have my wallet with me— I left my purse sitting in the lounge at the bar— I pass her a sad smile and murmur, "Actually, I'm just waiting for my ride."

She regards me for a moment, loudly chewing her gum before shrugging and walking off. I'm glad she didn't force me back out into the rain. I don't know where to go, or how to get there.

I live with Ghost, so I can't exactly avoid him forever. I just need some time to think everything over. To figure out how I'm feeling.

Is this a deal breaker?

Are we over?

Obviously we have a lot to talk about.

I just don't understand why he would lie. I would have understood the whole truth. I would have been okay with it, I think. But the fact that he kept it from me makes me think he does have stuff to hide. He does see the parallels between me and Julia.

My hand reaches up to touch the sunflower necklace that he gave me, the one I wear every day rain or shine. And it just makes me even more sad. Even more conflicted.

I'm not sure how long I sit there wallowing. It's long enough for the waitresses to change shifts and for my phone to be overflowing with missed calls and texts. I ignore them all as I open up the Uber app and request a car to finally take me home.

No matter how much I'm dreading it, Ghost and I need to talk.

Twenty minutes later I'm in the back of a sedan, watching the windshield wipers furiously work to keep the rain off of the window. That's all I allow myself to focus on, all I allow myself to think about. The back and forth, back and forth, every swipe squealing against the wet glass.

All too soon the car rolls to a stop, and I peer worriedly out the window. The light is on inside. He's here.

I take a deep, steadying breath, then I get out of the car.

I'm not sure what to expect walking inside. Will Ghost be anxious, worried, frustrated? Will he be angry that I haven't answered a single call or text in the last few hours? Probably.