Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I've got good news and bad news." Ghost announces, leaning against the open fridge door as he tosses a glance to where I sit at the counter.

My eyes sweep his still shirtless chest as I mindlessly run my fingers along my lips where I can still feel the faint sensation of our passionate make out session. It ended only a few moments ago before we both decided we should probably get up and eat something to settle the devouring hunger we're both feeling.

"Lay it on me." I prompt, crossing my legs to tamp down the burning feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"Bad news is I haven't gone grocery shopping in a few weeks, which means there's nothing in here but sour milk and some brown lettuce." Ghost winces as he slams the door shut before sauntering across the floor towards me.

"Hm, and what's the good news?"

He flashes me an easy grin as he digs his cell phone out of his sweatpants pockets, "Mila texted the group chat and wants us all to meet up for breakfast." He quirks his brow at me and questions, "Does that sound like something you wanna do?"

"Eh, I don't know, I was really looking forward to some soggy lettuce milk." I tease with a light smile.

Ghost rounds the counter to stand beside my stool, spinning my seat around to face him. He rests his forehead against mine with a small chuckle escaping his lips as he mutters, "Smartass."

"The smartest." I murmur back, tilting my chin up so our mouths meet for what is meant to be a brief kiss, but Ghost doesn't let me pull away so quickly. Instead his hand wraps around the back of my neck and anchors me there for a few more blissful seconds before pulling back.

"I'll text her back that we're in." He remarks, taking a small step back to give us both some breathing space, "We'll get dressed and go."

I frown down at the baggy clothes I'm in and ask, "What am I supposed to wear?"

He glances up and down my body as well and a mischievous smile snakes its way onto his lips, "Nothing?"

I roll my eyes and playfully shove his chest, "I'm serious."

"You can wear my clothes, you look cute in everything." He replies, sounding like he genuinely means it, but I can't help but make a disgruntled snort following that statement.

"Yeah right, I'm not showing up to breakfast with all your friends wearing your clothes, they'll know in two seconds that I slept over."

"What's wrong with that?" He shrugs.

"Nothing's wrong with that, I just want to look more presentable." I defend, and self-consciously I raise my hand to my throat, "Plus, y'know, this. I gotta cover it up with makeup or something."

Ghost passes me a sympathetic look, glancing at the bruises for only a moment before locking his gaze with mine. In a serious tone he states, "You don't have to cover that up, Rose. You have nothing to be ashamed of. No one will judge you for it, no one will think you're weak. In fact, after that ass-kicking you gave Brody last night, you're stronger than ever."

I blush as I break eye contact to stare at the floor, "Thanks," I mutter, "But I'm not ashamed. I mean, I'm trying not to be. It's more that I just don't want to answer a bunch of questions about it. I don't wanna keep having to think and talk about it. I just wanna enjoy myself."

He nods in understanding, "That's okay, too." He reaches forward and squeezes my hand with his, "I'll get dressed then we can drive over to your place so you can get ready before we go."

I smile appreciatively, agreeing to the plan. He wanders off down the hall and about ten minutes later reemerges in fresh clothes with his messy curls looking slightly less messy. The moment he steps close enough I'm enveloped in the intoxicating aroma of his cologne, and I nearly let out a dreamy sigh at the first whiff.