Chapter Nineteen

"You sure you wanna leave so early?" Brody questions me as we approach the car.

    I nod, walking ahead of him in my urgency to get away from this place. I barely even glance back as I reply, "Yeah, I wanna go home. I feel sick."

    Brody doesn't question it, though he does seem slightly suspicious. He silently gets in the driver's side and pulls away from the curb once we're both settled. After a moment he starts talking about the fights and how awesome they were. He especially highlights Ghost's fight, which is ironic because that's the very last thing I want to talk about right now.

    The guilt is eating me alive. Ghost got absolutely destroyed and it was all my fault. He hadn't expected to see me in the crowd, and certainly not with my boyfriend beside me. If I had just stayed hidden or somehow gotten Brody to take us to a different bar I have no doubt that he would be celebrating right now instead of nursing his many wounds.

    We reach the dorms quickly and Brody hesitates for a moment, turning to me and asking, "Do you want me to come in? We could watch some movies or something."

    I shake my head, "No, I really need to just go to sleep. My stomach is really hurting."

    It's not a lie. My stomach is in knots.
Brody looks disappointed but he nods his head nevertheless, passing me a small smile, "Well feel better soon, baby. Maybe I'll come by tomorrow with some soup if it's still hurting?"

    I smile appreciatively, "I'd like that."

    I can't help but notice how sweet and patient he's been with me since Daisy's death. Part of me wonders if he's truly being nice or if he just knows he can't get mad at me while I'm still grieving.

    He kisses me gingerly goodnight and I step out of the car before he peels away. I stand out on the curb, glancing over at the stairs that lead up to my dorm, but I hesitate. I can't help but pull my phone out and dial Ghost's number.

    I hold it to my ear, shivering as I wait. My stomach drops when he doesn't answer. That's not like him. I optimistically hope that he's just busy showering after his fight and he's not actively dodging me. I ring one more time and when there's still no answer I turn to text.

    Em; I'm so sorry. Are you okay? Can we please talk?

    I wait for a moment, hoping for a response. When I don't get one immediately I defeatedly turn to trudge up the stairs. When I reach the top and dig through my purse for my keys, the phone buzzes in my hand. I read it urgently.

    Ghost; Okay, we can talk. Meet me at my place in ten.

    I'm flooded with relief. At least he's still willing to talk to me. I turn and race back down the stairs, nearly tripping in my descent. I reach my car and start it quickly before peeling down the street.

    The whole drive over I can't help but feel nervous. What is he gonna say? How is he gonna act? Have I completely ruined our friendship?

    God, I hope not.

    I reach his house and turn off my car but hesitate for a moment before going in. Last time I was here was when everything happened with Daisy. Does he still have all her toys lying around? Is her crate still in the kitchen, with a full food bowl and water dish that will never again be emptied by her?

    The thoughts are too sad to take, so I quickly push them aside. I step out of the car and up to the front door, knocking lightly. For a moment I wait, the crickets and pale moonlight are all that accompany me until the door finally opens and I gasp at the sight of Ghost's face.