Chapter Twelve

"Daisy, sit still. We're almost there, I promise."

The old puppy shifts restlessly in the passenger seat, peering her head up through the window as we draw closer to Ghost's place.

I can only imagine how stressful this must be for her, being up and moved into a new home after spending her entire life in the same place. This is better than the alternative mom suggested, though. She'll adjust soon enough.

I glance at my phone, where the GPS is currently showing me which way to go. Ghost had texted me the address this morning and all day I've been anticipating seeing his place, wondering what it's like. I'm expecting bachelor pad paradise.

It's only about a ten to fifteen minute drive from the dorms, which is nice. I'll be able to visit Daisy much more frequently having her this close.

I turn down his street and my eyes squint with confusion when I don't see any apartment buildings. I roll to a stop in front of a small, single-family home and wonder for a moment if I have the wrong place, but I recognize Ghost's car in the driveway, so this must be it.

I shut off the car, getting out and circling around to get Daisy before walking up to the door. I knock lightly and moments later it opens to Ghost's smiling face.

"You made it." He greets cheerfully.

"We sure did."

He glances down at Daisy and immediately crouches down to her level to start scratching her behind the ear and under her chin, "Hello there, big girl. It's nice to finally meet you. I'm your new daddy."

"Don't say daddy, that sounds wrong."

"But it's true." He retorts with a smirk as he straightens back up to his full height. I'm slightly surprised when he leans forward to give me a quick hug. I guess that's how we greet each other now.

When we pull away I keep my gaze down as I mutter, "Uhm, there's a bunch of her stuff in the car; a crate and dog food and all that."

"I'll grab it, you two can come in, get situated." He tells me, ushering me through the threshold as he steps out to head towards my car.

I walk inside hesitantly, looking around at everything as I crouch down to let Daisy off her leash. She slowly moves around, sniffing everything as I stand in the center of the living room.

It's a nice place, with hardwood floors and an open layout. It doesn't exactly feel like Ghost, though. I was imaging everything dark and modern, with sharp edges and a cold feeling to it. What I'm standing in is warm and inviting. It feels like something out of a catalogue.

The door reopens and Ghost saunters in with a forty pound bag of dog food over his shoulder and a crate and dog bed in his other arm, but he's hardly breaking a sweat. He shows no signs of strain as he passes me a smile and walks through to the kitchen to dump everything on the floor.

I slowly trail after him, lingering in the walkway as I lean against the wall and remark, "I didn't imagine you living in a place like this."

"Oh?" He glances over his shoulder at me as he sets up the crate, "What were you imagining?"

I shrug, "A bachelor pad in some high-end apartment."

He laughs as he turns to face me, pushing his curls out of his eyes, "Sorry to disappoint."

"No, this is better. She'll like this more." I gesture to Daisy who is wandering around still exploring everything new, before questioning, "Are you renting?"

He shakes his head, glancing around the room as he replies, "No, actually, I own it."

My eyes widen at him, "Really? You already own a house at your age?"