Chapter Thirty-Two

Ghost is silent as we pull into the parking lot of the Marriott hotel we made reservations at. We knew we didn't want to make the long drive back home tonight as we had expected to stay at the wedding until late into the night. Checking the time, I see we were barely there for an hour.

He grabs our small overnight bags from the backseat before we make our way into the lobby. His hand rests comfortingly on my lower back, rubbing soft circles into my skin. Slowly his calming effect is washing over me.

A kind woman at the front desk clicks away at her computer for a moment before handing us our key cards and wishing us a happy stay. Then Ghost is leading me into the elevator and up the levels until we reach the very top. He guides me down the carpeted hallway and opens the door with the number 2245 on it.

The room is nicer than I was expecting. Ghost paid for it, much to my objection. I had wanted to split the cost at least, given that I was the one who asked him to come. He had waved off the notion immediately, telling me he was more than happy to fund our first night away together.

A large king bed sits against the center of the wall, beside a wall of windows that look out onto the twinkling lights of the city below. There's a desk with a large flatscreen in front of the bed, and off to the side a door that leads to a bathroom. I watch Ghost drop our bags and head into the bathroom, and moments later the sound of running water fills the room. 

I wander over and peer inside as Ghost squats at the edge of the huge tub, feeling the water temperature. He squeezes in a large portion of body wash and bubbles begin to swirl in the filling tub.

I crack a weak smile as I remark, "Didn't think you were the kind of guy who takes baths."

He peers over his shoulder at me and passes me an amused look as he replies, "I'm not. This is for you."

My teasing smirk slides off my face, replaced with overwhelming gratitude. My heart swells as he continues to adjust the temperature before standing up and breezing over to me. He pulls me further into the bathroom and places a tender kiss to my lips.

"I'm really sorry you had to confront your mom like that." He murmurs softly, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and pulling me against his sturdy chest, "I know that's not how you wanted the night to go."

I sigh heavily against him and let out a defeated shrug, "It was a long time coming. I'm kind of relieved actually. Now she knows about what Brody did and hopefully she'll stop worshipping the ground he walks on."

Ghost hesitates for a moment before cautiously asking, "Are you really cutting her out of your life?"

I give it a serious moment of thought before muttering, "Yes, for the time being at least. If she decides to change her attitude and starts treating me with actual respect for once, I might consider changing my mind. But right now I'm certain that I'm better off without her."

"Isn't she paying for school and your dorm?"

I shrug again, "Yeah, but if I lose either of those things, I won't really care. I'll figure out something else."

Ghost passes me a half smile and suggests, "You know you can stay with me if you need to, right? I mean, you already have been practically living there for the past few weeks anyway."

I smile appreciatively at him and reach up on my tiptoes to plant a kiss on his lips. He holds me gingerly in his arms as the kiss continues for a moment before he breaks away and eases me towards the tub, "Take your bath. Relax, don't worry about anything else for the rest of the night. I'll be right outside the door, looking for a movie I can put on and we can just chill."