*Chapter 16: Peace Cuddling

My hands shook when I saw the title of this chapter. WTF my younger self? WTF???

* * *

-If you haven't really gotten over the past, you've never really lived your present life. What you're looking for now isn't a better future, but the past so full of remorse.

Anger. Pure, livid anger. My blood was boiling just at the mere sight of those two chatting happily like Ayden and I didn't even exist. When I saw them like that, I came to believe that they were spending their entire time like this, ignoring my desperate plea to help Ayden. I did not think that I was a good person, so I did not believe in forgiveness and blind kindness towards those that hurt me.

They never even called.

When they took the money from the life insurance and savings our parents had in the bank, they told the jury that they will take good care of us and that they'll use all of the money for our sake.

Selfish liars. Instead, they sold our house and bought that little place for me and Ayden, probably not wanting to take us with them on their journey around the world before they suddenly left.

In the beginning, they used to send some money for us to manage it somehow, but after I found a job, they immediately stopped. We never saw them after that day, and I honestly didn't mind it at all. I was not too fond of those people. They were no longer my family. Family are people that care for you, that will help you when no one else wants, who will always be there to hold out their hands for you when you need them. Being blood related has nothing to do with it. Neither does the family, nor other people going around destroying other people. It's what only monsters do.

She suddenly noticed me before looking around me as if she finally began to understand that it was me whose engagement was about, she put on her fake smile I knew all too well, as she started coming my way. My aunt.

I pushed all my previous thoughts away as I braced myself for not too pleasant conversation that followed.

"Kaley, oh my God, we're so happy for you," She exclaimed as she spread her arms to hug me but I just moved away. There they were: face, voice and composure I was already familiar with since that trial two years ago. The only thing that changed was her hair, which was currently red. It was never the same color whenever we met.

"So now you remember us? Maria," I couldn't help but say her name with so much venom, the mere reminder of anger and hatred I felt towards her. That woman was a cruel, cunning creature and deserved nothing else.

Not even pity.

"I've never forgotten about you, my dear," She let out a laugh as some people glanced at our way, Blake already noticing that something was wrong.

He gave me a look of inquiry, with his eyebrow slightly raised as I only averted my eyes from him. He couldn't help here.

I needed to let it out.

"We're sorry for your parents and Ayden, I think we never had enough time to talk about it. What you say to renew our bonds now for your sake. You must be so lonely," She continued moving her hand towards my shoulder as I only took a step back bitterly laughing in my head. My sake?

It would be for the best if I never had to deal with her face again for my sake.

"No thank you, I am as good as I am now," I replied, trying to calm down. There were so many things going through my head. I wanted to scream in her face, but knew that it wasn't worth it, not with all those people around us.