*Chapter 25: I love you

...what the heck is that image above and why can't I remember ever writing about it??? Was this my alternate idea for ONSWB??? WHAT IT WAS, AAAAAAAAAAAAH I REALLY CAN'T REMEMBER!!!

* * *

Kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when the words become superfluous.

– Ingrid Bergman

Unraveling people is something human beings are keen on doing. Why do we want to understand others? Why do we need to understand them, for that matter? Couldn't we just accept them as they are and live with it?

No. We couldn't.

Humanity is a race that relies on bonds. Though some of us may prefer loneliness, not a single one is able to deal with it alone. It's not in our nature, we simply need to interact with others like we need to breathe. But with diabolical people nowadays that could betray you any second, we need to choose who to have by our side. That is why we slowly try to understand people as our trust towards them slowly progresses, for the moment we stop trusting is the moment we cease to understand. Be it because we finally trust them with our lives or because they betray us, we stop. We give up.

I believe that it was precisely the reason behind my need to unravel Blake as he continued to tell me about the darkest pieces of his past. No longer did his office seem like a nice and comfortable place to stay. It was witnessing painful truth. It couldn't allow itself to stay a pure observer.

I could hear the sharp breath coming from Blake and suddenly, the whole study became engulfed in thick darkness once again. Though, it might've probably been just my imagination.

The sandwiches I prepared for him were still untouched on the plate, all but one on which you could see a few traces of bites. It was the one Blake started eating before he gave up on. My tears were now gone as I bravely stared at his face, patiently waiting for his next words, never uttering anything until I heard another word from him.

I waited for a bit longer, his lips parted a bit, he didn't know what to say. I knew that I surprised him by telling him that I wanted to know more, but I thought that he couldn't say anything because he didn't know what to do or because it was just too hard.

No, forget it. Since he won't say, I won't inquire any longer. Believing that I went too far, I decided to change the topic, he was not ready. I couldn't force him to come out of his shell that fast.

"You should eat first," I found myself saying. I had started to act weird, first forcing out the answers from him and now demanding from him to eat. Maybe I have finally gotten mad. I didn't know but I was genuinely worried about him and it was currently the only thing I was now sure about.

"Demanding little munchkin, aren't you?" he chuckled, but this time it was his amused chuckle, not some lifeless like the last two.

"Sorry, I'm just worried about you," I admitted sheepishly, fully aware of the pink color that crawled on my cheeks.

"Fine, fine, Mom. I'll be eating first." As he rolled his eyes with amusement, he also moved his arm towards those sandwiches.

"You better!" I jokingly slapped his chest seeing as he was back to his normal self, and I felt relieved I didn't need to know the rest of the story yet, I was fine with what he had already revealed to me.

"Here," he chuckled, taking the sandwich he already started before staring at it. In the next second he pinched my hip which led me to open my mouth in order to scream. But Blake used that chance to put the sandwich in my mouth and I no longer wanted to scold him.