Growing Feelings

"Have a nice day!" Amity said to the retreating customer. As soon as the customer was gone, Amity sighed as she ran her hand through her brown hair.

"What's up with you, Ami?" Willow asked as she came to the front.

"Nothing... it's just exams are coming up and I haven't been getting a lot of sleep because of my studies." Amity replied as she leaned against the counter.

Willow placed her hand on her arm. "You have to take care of yourself! One of these days, you're gonna collapse. Do you need a day off? I can talk to Lilith if you-"

Amity shook her head as she placed her hand over Willow's. "Its okay, Willow. I appreciate your concern but I'm used to the stress."

"I know but still..." Willow sighed as she frowns. "Just try to get some rest tonight? Please?"

"I'll...try." Amity nodded.

"Good. Now we should start cleaning up. We have an hour until we have to lock it up." Willow said, patting Amity's back before walking into the back room.

Amity watched her friend walk away before grabbing the mop and leaving from behind the counter.

The place is usually empty towards the end of the day, which was why they start cleaning a little earlier. This gave Amity a little more time with her studies.

As she mopped the floor, she noticed one last customer sitting in the corner of the café, with their head tucked in their arms. They had a few textbooks laid out in front of them.

'Looks like I'm not the only one...' Amity thought as she came closer to the customer.

She tapped their shoulder. "Hey."

The only response she got was a grumble as they buried their face more into their arms.

Amity sighed before shaking them. "Wake up, please."

"Cinco minutos más, mami..." They muttered.

Amity bit her cheek to keep herself from shouting. Instead, she gently whacked the top of their head with the wooden part of the mop.

They immediately shot up as they yelped. They would of fallen out of their chair but Amity held onto them. "Ah!"

"I'm sorry but you weren't waking up. We're about to-" Amity trailed off as they turned their head towards the Blight. Warm brown meets golden as Amity is just struck by how beautiful her eyes were.

Not the time, Amity! Get it together!

Amity cleared her throat awkwardly. "W-We're closing soon. I wouldn't want you to get locked in."

The beanie girl gasped loudly as her eyes seemed to be filled with stars. How was that even possible? She smiled brightly. "You're Amity Blight?! You gotta be! I didn't know you worked here!"

Amity raised an eyebrow at the girl. "How do you know me?"

The beanie girl scratched her cheek with her finger. "I guess you're pretty well known at Hexside University. I just started attending there a few weeks ago and I hear about you from teachers."

"Makes sense... well you better get home uh..." Amity trailed off once more.

"Luz! Luz Noceda!" Luz said, holding out her hand. Amity returned the gesture and noticed how warm and slightly bigger her hand was compared to hers. "Great to finally meet you, Amity."

"Nice to meet you too, Luz." Her name was so nice to say. Amity couldn't help but give a small smile. "I'll see you around."

Amity waved as she turned around to get back to cleaning. She can feel Luz's eyes on the back of her head as she walked away.
=================================