13

"You could have been slightly less terrifying

"You could have been slightly less terrifying. Those poor boys will never be the same again!" Isabella reprimanded from the back seat, leaning forward around the head rest to address Deckard who only smirked as Hobbs drove, hopefully in the right direction. 

They had managed to reach the road before the car had passed, waving it down so that the driver came to a gradual stop. Two boys around the age of eighteen had been sat in the front seats of the vehicle, and were reluctant to hand over their car, as anyone would. 

Nonetheless, after a few threatening moments with Deck and Owen, the hesitant boys had jumped out their car and were running in the opposite direction to the rest of the group, not even stopping for a second to look back. 

"Well it worked, didn't it?" Owen sneered from beside her with a cheeky expression, watching in amusement as both Bella and Hattie rolled their eyes at his disregard for their fear. They couldn't deny that he was right though, if it was between Hattie's survival or scaring a few teenagers, there was no competition. 

After all, that's all big brothers were useful for; scaring away boys. 

"I suppose so..." Isabella responded quietly, turning to stare out the window as they rushed by blurs of palm trees and exotic flowers that bloomed on huge bushes of greenery. She couldn't wait until this whole menagerie was over and she could just go back to her pleasant existence, even if it wasn't in such a beautiful location as Samoa. 

"Hey Bella, I'm sorry if I dropped you in it back there with that pilot." Owen mumbled beside her, acknowledging that sometimes it was better if he did keep his mouth shut. Shaking her head with a light smile, Isabella turned towards him, unaware of Deckard's eyes following her through the mirror.

"I'm used to you dropping me in it, don't worry about it." Isabella chuckled, unable to stay annoyed at any of the Shaws longer than a few minutes. There was just something about them that made her feel at peace. 

"I thought you didn't do dates anyway, not since Nathan Greener stood you up when you were 19." He further teased about the past, knowing that Isabella had always taken it to heart, even though she didn't know the whole story. Cautiously, Deckard eyed his brother through the mirror, warning him not to go any further. However, when Owen was involved, nothing remained a secret forever.  

"What's this you're talking about?" Hobbs asked interestedly, willing to engage in any conversation that could distract him from the thought of meeting his brother again, even if it was about Isabella's historic love life. 

Isabella huffed at the choice of topic, but Hattie also became distracted by the new discussion, taking her mind off whether or not the machine could be fixed and the world could be saved, "Well, once upon a time..." 

"This isn't a fairy-tale Hattie-" Isabella intervened, but was quickly silenced with a dismissive wave of her hands.  

"Oh hush," Hattie grinned, clasping her hands together reminiscently, "When Isabella and I were 19, she had a really big crush on this boy called Nathan Greene at college. After months, he finally asked her out on a date, but then he just never showed up and we never saw him again. No explanation, nothing. From that day forth, Isabella vowed never to go on another date as long as she lived. The end." Hattie shrugged contently, leaning back against her headrest, satisfied by her narrative.