The Plight of Violent Video Games

Video games have been a frequent subject of argument since its creation, but I believe that violent video games should not be banned. People argue that it's bad and it teaches kids and teenagers to be violent, similarly others argue that it's good and that it stimulates the brain. I'm here to add more to this never ending argument of "are video games good? or bad?" Video games are categorized based on their genre, and there's a wide range of varieties to choose from when it comes to video games, namely: science fiction, horror, action and adventure,fantasy and many more. Games give you a large scope of things you can do, from saving a damsel in distress, fighting dragons and gods, cooking, living in a post apocalyptic world, killing zombies and many more. So then begs the question are video games really as awful and as brutal as others depict it as? Does it really make us violent?

Video games are a major part of most people's lives and it includes mine. Since several video games have some violent content included, it has been hypothesized that gamers nowadays tend to be more aggressive.The issue is especially relevant today, because the games are more realistic and bloodier than ever. There have been many studies suggesting to have found a connection between violence in video games and real-world aggression, however countervailing studies found no persuasive link. As a teenager who plays video games, it doesn't make us aggressive or violent, but rather, it teaches us to have more patience. Video games take the form of a stress reliever. In moments where you are so pissed off and you want to punch someone, you don't act on it, instead you simply go home and play some games. Most entertainments nowadays have some type of violence added in it, so why ban violent video games, when the show being played on the television depicts as much gore and blood or more.

Others say that violent video games is not useful for anything other than entertainment. In this I have to disagree since video games do more than just entertain. Playing video games improve our sensori-motor and hand-eye coordination. This enables faster reactions for real time events and enhances our mental reflexes, because video games require the player to make a quick and logical decision, which will come in handy in real life situations. According to ILS, "Video games could be part of treatments for people who struggle with hand-eye coordination or sensorimotor skills in general." In addition to that, video games are also associated with improved vision, spatial and problem-solving skills and the ability to allocate resources more efficiently or to filter relevant information more effectively.

Taking everything into account, video games are not as bad as people makes it out to be. While it's true that it's not as mind stimulating as learning new languages, but it certainly does not harm people either. On the contrary, there are benefits that you can reap in playing video games. There's no absolute good in the world, too much of something is always bad, so know your limitations. Finally, video games are as violent as any other thing in the world, therefore violent video games should not be prohibited.

--------------------------------------------
Formulating claims /Assertive or persuasive essay