Twinkle, twinkle, little book.

Records of the Vampire Hunters Association state that the first time humanity raised their weapons against vampires was 10,000 years ago -  about the same time when an apocalypse, of unknown origin, reduced the human population and allowed the vampires' rise. Unfortunately, whatever happened back then has been lost to time. There is no going back.

It was not long after the battle of Shinjuku. The Shinoa Squad was still recovering, trying to relax a little, while Yuu seemed to be possessed by the idea of turning Mika back into a human. He looked through book after book, but still. It was all about turning humans into vampires, turning vampires into demons, turning demons into cursed gear . . . but not a single hint on how to turn any of this back. It could not be irreversible, right? There had to be a way! He picked out another book on spellcraft from a tiny shelf, residing in the back of the library.

Spellcraft - The one thing he never wanted to learn at school. He stared at ornate illustrated 100 or so pages with spell circles. It was a collection. Many pages had carefully written descriptions on the spells' use, others were not even named. He looked through the book, but there was nothing of his interest. He skipped through one last time, before dropping it onto the desk.

"Why is it always books? Can't I just break into a mansion and steal an artifact or something? I'm a soldier, not a librarian!", Yuu sighed, just as Shinoa came in. A smile on her lips as always.

She teased him a little. "Doing homework, I see? But I believe that 2 am is not the best timing to get started on your essay~"

Yuu gave a sarkastic laugh. "Haha, yeah, very funny Shinoa." He turned his view back to the book, only to feel the headache he would get if he dared to look through one more time.

"You should get a rest, though. That you're sitting in a library is clearly telling me you lost your mind from sleep-deprivation." Shinoa smirked and danced around the desk. "So what are you spending brain cells on?" Yuu returned no answer, instead Shinoa stared at the book for a few seconds. Then she realized. "It's a spell collection. Since when are you-"

"I'm not. I'm not learning spells, but I want what they can do for me."

"Is it about your family?" Yuu did not answer. "You know, it is a rather old collection of spells. Not a single soul in the army can tell you the meaning for all of them. Maybe there is a way to turn your family back human within this book, but I don't think you'll find it."

"So there is a spell?!" Yuu exclaimed, a spark in his eyes. Shinoa got uncomfortable, as Yuu turned to Shinoa with only the space of a hand between the two.

"Ye-yes. I mean, maybe. But-"

Yuu did not care about the uncertainty in Shinoa's answer. All he did was spinning high-speed on his chair, somehow relieved but yet excited, and let out something similar to a victory cry. Shinoa did not mind the childishness, in fact, she quite enjoyed it.

Yuu pushed his hand onto the book, propping himself up from the table. "Alright! If this book can help me save Mika, then I will not waste a single second!"

But at the end of the day, if enjoyable or not, Yuu was still an idiot. Shinoa gently put her hand on Yuu's shoulder, as if to calm him back down. She sighed. "You really are trying to go through with this aren't you?"

"Yes. Now that I know my family is alive, I don't wanna think about a future without them. Yes, in the future, I will save you, Mikaela!" Something below Yuu's hand seemed to have a slight glow, pushing light through the gaps. The two soldiers did not notice, though.

"Well, I actually meant that you should really go get some rest first. Even if you could decipher the pages, you'd need to have to put a few more brain cells into use than you usually do-" She let out a loud gasp at the sight of the light, coming from the book. The entire room was drowned in its shine. "Yuu!!! Get away from the book, now!" She ordered while trying to pull the boy away.