Forgotten hopes.

Yuki continued. "In fact, I never noticed that Zero was a vampire until just recently. So I thought it had to be something more than just-"

"Hold on, hold on!" Shinoa stopped the explanation, as the two soldiers stood there in shock. Yuu already got a hold of his sword, just in case, while Shinoa tried to remain calm. "So you are a vampire and a vampire hunter, Kiryuu?" Well, this was a new one. Back in the army, you either were a vampire or one who killed them. Would it even be safe to associate with a vampire? They were predators, after all. But then again, Yuu's family, Mika was a vampire, too . . . Maybe there was hope for the future, even if they didn't find a way to turn Mika back into a human.

Zero, on the other hand, got a bit disgusted at the remark. "Not on my free will . . ."

Yuki only realized now how insensitive that could have maybe been. But the words had already been spoken.

A tiny bit like Mika, Yuu thought to himself. At least, he couldn't imagine that his family had become a vampire willingly. "Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that . . . I guess? But hey! With the right spell casting, maybe there is a way to turn you back into a human, too!"

It made Shinoa want to face-palm. Didn't they just have a conversation about this? The sleep deprivation must have disabled Yuu from processing new information . . . Or maybe not. Considering it was the same guy who had scored a glorious zero on his test, back before they became a squad.

Yuki and Zero both had the same blunt expression on their faces. "Spellcasting?" They wondered, almost simultaneously.

"Don't tell me the two of you have never heard of spellcasting?" Shinoa said.

"Well, we did but . . ." Yuki replied while staring at Zero's tattoo for a bit. "I didn't think spells could be strong enough to turn a person back from a vampire into a human."

"They are not." Shinoa clarified. "Or at least none that we know of. If there are any, they have been lost to time. But . . ." It was hard to read Shinoa's expressions sometimes, but even though, everybody knew she was annoyed when her look turned over to Yuu. ". . . a certain idiot just doesn't seem to grasp that."

Just thinking about it, that there once could have been a way to turn a vampire back, lit up a glimmer of hope within Yuki. Zero, on the other hand, expected that answer and didn't think there was a cure to this 'vampire disease' in the first place. 'Lost to time' meant as much as 'never existed in the first place', at least for him. He gazed up into the sky and guessing by the position of the moon, the Night Classes were almost over - meaning that they would have to return to patrol any minute now.

"Yuki." Zero ordered. "You will accompany Hiiragi and Hyakuya to the headmaster's office. You can then tell me what exactly happened tomorrow. Until then, I will make sure our blood-sucker classmates won't get any dumb ideas into their heads."

"Are you sure you can handle it on your own?" Yuki asked, just to be sure.

"Of course I am. It's not like you ever contributed much to patrols anyways."

"Are you trying to tell me that I am useless?"

"I wouldn't word it that way. But yes, that's why I asked for another partner, remember?"

While Shinoa and Yuu just stood there, wondering what exactly is going on between the two, Yuki was about to boil over with anger. She would've not hesitated to punch him again if it wasn't for her duty as prefect. "Alright then." She grumbled. "But I am not doing this because you asked me but because it is my duty." Hissing something along the lines of 'stupid Zero', the girl, together with the two soldiers, walked away.

"Thank you in advance!" Zero shouted, a tad sarcastic.

"I hope you trip on your way back!" Yuki returned.