You are pretty arrogant.

The pureblood was able to tell that the owner of the sword was a vampire, just like him. Quite an arrogant one, too. But threatening a pureblood was not only foolish but also considered to be a crime among vampires. If the situation was not this serious, Kaname would have provoked him with a smug smile. He knew he could not possibly lose.

"Put your weapon down if you want to make it out of here alive." Kaname suggested. He was unable to recognize the other vampire's voice or scent. He was neither his classmate nor any other person he had ever met before, hence Kaname did not think twice about handing out a death threat.

"You're the one with a sword to your neck." The voice behind him spoke. "Do you really think it's wise to threaten me?-"

The other vampire had barely finished his sentence when Kaname reached for his neck, trying to choke him. This stranger was a little too cocky, for Kaname's taste. Hence he concluded there was a pretty good chance he was dealing with a young, inexperienced vampire that was easy to pin down. And finally, he could see his opponent's face. Empty, saphire-blue eyes stared back at him.

At first, Kaname thought he had caught the blonde vampire by surprise. Maybe he did, maybe not. Although his eyes stood wide open, as if in shock, he shortly changed his expression back to a barely even readable one. Regardless, the stranger managed to dodge the attack, jumping a good 30 meters away from him in one go. He wouldn't let himself get grabbed by the neck twice in such a small period of time. At this moment, both of them knew they were not just dealing with another ordinary vampire.

"You are a quick one." Kaname noted. "And you even managed to outrun a pureblood's attack - even though it was not an entirely serious attempt, that is pretty impressive. Are you an aristocrat?"

The blonde vampire had no visible reaction. Only his breathing got uneven when he heard the word 'aristocrat'. Was Kaname's guess correct?

"That doesn't matter." The blonde vampire insisted. "But you don't seem like a fool either. Are you the noble- or aristocrat in charge of this place?"

The question made Kaname suspicious and confused at the same time. He raised an eyebrow. "Yes, I am." His attacker was neither able to identify the infamous Cross Academy, nor the head of the pureblooded Kuran family. Not even an ex-human could possibly be this clueless, right? "But I've got a question for you, too. Who are you and where are you from?"

The blonde first kept his mouth shut thinking about what or rather how much to answer.

"Well?" Kaname digged for an asnwer.

"My name is Mikaela and I am a subordinate of Krul Tepes." The stranger replied, not mentioning his second name. "I was just patrolling at Sanguinem when I suddenly wound up here. Why though, is a mystery to me. I was hoping you had the answer to that."

Krul Tepes. Sanguinem. It had been a long time since Kaname last heard these names. Actually, that was multiple millennia ago. Ever since then, he didn't hear a single vampire use these names nor did he see any documents mentioning them. Much like the spells he found in the book he just picked up, this conversation took place 10000 years too late.

"My name is Kaname Kuran. And unfortunately, these questions are a mystery to both of us." The pureblood explained. "Especially since Krul Tepes is long dead and Sanguinem has been abandoned, with no recordings of its existence left, last time I checked."

Mikaela hardened the grip on his sword. "Quit messing around." He hissed. "I have no time to play any games."

"Funny. I could say the same to you, but I believe I have a better guess at what is going on." Kaname looked back at the book, he assumed was about 10000 years old. "I have to base what I am going to say next on nothing but mere assumptions. So I'd like to ask: How much do you know about the apocalypse?"

"The apocalypse? Why is that important now, all of a sudden?"

"It is because vampires nowadays don't know much about it. Especially its origin is kept secret from the general population- That is, if anyone is still alive to keep that secret. So I wonder whether you know what brought humanity to its fall, back then."

Mikaela stiffened. He could not yet completely comprehend everything else that Kaname said, but he knew the answer to his question just too well. "Human experimentation."

Kaname nodded. "It almost sounds as if you had actually been there. Is it the time you originated from?"

Mikaela made a guess. "You are not trying to make me believe I got somehow involved with time travel, are you?"