possum kingdom

george is walking in the woods

———

george is walking in the woods, it was dark, cold, and rainy and he honestly wasn't sure why he was walking this late just to deliver some god damn apples to some dude that lives down the road from his house because his mom told him to, or why he decided to take the 'short' path through the woods, which should've only taken 2 minutes.

'only two minutes' he said as he started on the trail, 15 minutes ago.

see, george found is an adventurous person, it's literally in his name (found lol), and when he saw an possum and chased it deep in the woods of his town, that people warn him not to go into to, he concluded that he was completely and utterly fucked.

now these were the dark ages, the days where peoples idea of fun was running around and smacking hula hoops with sticks, and putting a ball in a cup. so it was very boring.

it was june 3rd, 1881, exactly.

so the boy was walking around in his old timey outfit, slacks, carrying a goddamn box of apples trying to trek back through the thick mess of wood he got into in the first place.

when a twig snapped he would jump, and he would look back and see nothing.

nothing was what he ever saw.
other than trees and dirt, of course.

he was worried, extremely worried, for there were rumors of a person- man- thing? in a mask that would stalk these woods, and would eat any person they came across.

george was told that story when he was 6, and he wasn't sure if that story was only told to keep him out of the woods, or if it was actually true.

and the story worked, it did keep him out of the woods for a few years, until now.

'do creepy beings in masks like to eat 18 year old skinny boys?' the brunette thought to himself as he continued into the woods.

he walked for a few more minutes, until he approached a stream.

now, these were the old times where everyone got sick because they did stupid shit, so of course goddamn george found had to throw his hands in the stream and wash the sweat off of his face, along with washing an apple off and taking a bite.

and when he looked up, he was met face to face with a man.

not just any man, a man with long dirty blond hair, a white tank top thing under a pair of dirty dark blue(?) overalls, with some dirty boots, and scars covering his arms and hands, as george looked up to see his face, he couldn't.

because he was wearing a mask.

"can i have a-" the masked man began to speak, before george chucked an apple at his face and ran in the opposite direction.

on the other hand, the masked man (dream if you haven't caught on), stared in disbelief as the boy hes been tracking down for years took off after throwing an apple at his head.

what the fuck? karl said he'd recognize him.

dream sighed and set the apple down, before taking off after the boy.

dream caught up quite fast, not before leaping over a few rocks and eventually ending up beside george, running with him instead of after him.

"hi!"

george turned to the side and his face contorted into one of horror as he noticed this man was RIGHT FUCKING NEXT TO HIM.

then he hit his head on a tree branch and blacked out.

"shit," dream mutters to himself, watching george fall to the ground with a black eye.

he sighs, taking his time-travel-device-thingy and calling karl.

"dream! my man! hows it going?" karls voice rings through the speakers.

"karl, i- i thought you said he would recognize me?" dream asks, bending down and touching georges face.

porcelain skin,
just like he remembered.

"oh- well... about that..." karl laughs, and dream rolls his eyes.

"what?"

"there are some... defects... when it comes to time traveling. and yours must be the person your traveling to see, in a past life, will forget you." karl mutters.

"oh."

"yeah..."

then dream hung up.

you see, dream travelled back in time, with karls help, to see george.
the george he loves, the george that loves him, and the george that isnt dead.

yeah,, george, at least in dreams point in time, fucking died.
when technoblade and dream exploded lmanburg with tnt and withers, george was caught in the crossfire, and dream didnt learn about this until he was in prison.
that george was dead, and it was his fault.

to make it up to dream, techno busted him out (with help of ranboo), and hired karl for dream to go back in time and find past george.
karl insisted that george would remember who dream was, but from the way that the boy ran once he saw him, dream guessed otherwise.

dream wiped some rain off of his forehead and picked the small boy up, hoising him up onto his back and beginning to carry him back through the woods, to where dream was hunkering down.
in a man-made shack, deep in the dark oak forest.

george wakes up, and nearly pisses himself when he sees the masked man starring at him.
george screams.

"wait, wait, dont be afraid, i dont mean to scare you!" dream rushes out quickly, grabbing georges arm.

"no! how did i get here? why are you-" george asks, trying to escape dreams grip.

"george. your george right?"

the brunette freezes in place, looking back towards dream, "yeah?"

"holy shit!" dream beams, pulling himself up to georges level and hugging him, "its been so long, i cant believe this."

george is stunned, "do i know you?" he asks once dream lets go, "whats your name?"

"my names clay! but- but you used to call me dream, so..."

"okay, clay. do i know you?" george asks again, putting his hand on his hip.

dream stares at the shorter boy, before standing himself up straight and coughing, "uh- no."

"well then whyd you say 'its been so long' ?"

"ahem- about that-"

[unfinished, march 14th)