Problems

Leah's pov

I'm back in my dorms. It's been a few hours since i came back and i've spent the time finishing up the missing work i had.

Taking a break from the workload, I got up to make myself some food. While I was opening up a pack of ramen, I did some thinking.

Ok.
So.
It's day mf 2 of my Wellston life and I already have 3 problems.

Problem 1) I have a massive crush on Arlo. That one's self explanatory. I have an impossible crush on someone I'll never have a chance with.

Problem 2) I caught Zeke's attention. I know he said he'll leave me alone from now on but how the hell am I supposed to trust him? What if he gets bored one day and decides to bother me again?

Problem 3) ...I have no friends. The first and second days of a transfer student are the crucial times to make friends but I currently have none. On day one, I was too focused on getting through the day to socialize and day two was spent in the infirmary.

Giving the sides of my face a slap with both hands to snap out of it, I made up my mind.

I absolutely have to start socializing. I need a good, average, group of friends I can settle into.

-
Next day lunch

I scan the cafeteria in desperate search for a table with people I can sit with. Just as I start moving my feet cause i got worried i was standing still for too long, I heard someone call out.

"Hey new girl!"

As i directed my eyes towards the voice, I saw a table of five; 2 girls and 3 guys. If I join their group, it'll be a perfect number.

score.

"Hi! Mind if I sit here?" I gave them the warmest smile i could muster.

"No not all. You're Leah right?" a blond girl asked.

"Yup! nice to meet you."

"Cool I'm Wenqi."

"I'm Illena"

"What's up, I'm Krolik"

"I'm Hower"

"And i'm Tanner."

Wenqi spoke up again. "Your level's 2.6 right? We're all around that level haha"

BINGOOOO I just found a normal mid tier group bahhahaha

"Oh really? nice!"

"Yea but Tanner's the strongest in our group. His level is 3.1"

My eyes widened slightly at that.
"Woah that's pretty strong. I bet if you work really hard, you can reach the elite level!"

Tanner put on an indifferent face but I could tell he was liking the praise.
"Yea. not like it's a big deal tho"

After some conversation here and there about our abilities and basic information, we finished our lunch.

"Why don't we walk around the halls for a bit?" Illena offered.

"Yea sounds good" Krolik replied.

So we left the cafeteria and walked around the halls, continuing our conversations about our classes, teachers, homework, the regular convo starters.

"Damn I seriously hate the math homework" Krolik started.

"Yea for real. It's such a drag" Illena added on.

This time, it was my turn to talk. "Oh really? I actually like math a lot haha if you guys need help on anything let me know!"

"woahh~ smarty alert" Wenqi joked

Just as I was about to respond, Hower cut me off.

"nah no need for that Leah. look, watch this.
Eyyyy Roland!"

I'm going to guess Roland was the purple haired boy cause he suddenly turned around. But when he saw that it was Hower, his face paled.

As Hower approached him, Roland got noticeably tense.

"Alright Roland so here's the thing buddy. I have a shit ton of homework that I really don't wanna do." he casually said with a mocking shrug

I could hear the giggles from the rest of the group around me.

Before my brain could catch up to what was going on, Hower threw Roland a punch right to his stomach.

UHG-

Hower waited for Roland's coughing to die down a bit.

"So why don't you just do it for me?"

While I was still in shock from what I just saw, Illena laughed and added on to Hower's statement. "oh and that wasn't a request by the way. it was a order."

Roland got visibly more scared which earned him even more scoffs and mockery from the group.

Oh my gosh.

i just joined a group of bullies.
why does the world hate me so much

Hower threw his arm around Roland's shoulders as if they were friends, his voice carrying false humor and friendliness.
"Not like something like you has anything better to do."

Just as I was on the brink of freaking out about how I could stop this, a familiar face came in sight.

Arlo kept walking until he was right next to roland and hower. These two couldn't see who was behind them but the rest of the group and I sure did. And the people around me looked frozen in place.

He gave me a glance and our eyes met for a second before he spoke up. I'm sure I looked the most terrified and shocked out of everyone.

"Get your hands off him." his voice of course sounded as composed as always but it was commanding, demanding obedience.

At his voice, Hower whipped his head around. At the sight of Arlo, his jaw dropped for a slight second until he practically shoved Roland away from him and backed up a few steps.

Also stumbling back from the shove, Roland faltered a bit as he looked up to see Arlo. As he recognized who he was, he instinctively turned his head down and gave a quick bow.

Arlo however seemed far more interested in Hower.

"I heard everything.
You're a Wellston student. If you don't want to do the work then you can leave. How dare you force someone else to complete your assignments?"

Hower backed up even further from Arlo's harsh tone.
"I- uh" he couldn't form any coherent sentences.

"If I see this happening again, I'll be informing your teachers and the headmaster about your academic dishonesty. And i'll be personally making sure the news gets carried over to any university you wish to attend. Is that understood."

Hower eagerly shook his head.
"y-yes! of course! it won't happen again."

Arlo glared at Hower for an extra second for good measure.

"tsk"

As he walked past us, he gave me one last look with eyes colder than they've ever been when looking at me.

My stomach churned at that.

Aight. problem 4

My crush and the king of this school now sees me as nothing more than a cheap, trashy, bully.

just. my mf. luck.

—-
Author's note:
Sorry that this chapter is a bit shorter than usual:(( Any comments or feedback are extremely appreciated and are genuinely what keeps me going hehe. so if you can spare maybe ten seconds, feel free to leave a like or comment!