Chapter 1

It was a normal day for me on my solitary island with my dragon. Wait, have I not introduce myself? I'm Stride. I'm 18 years old. I'm a little on the shorter side, and have long, curly, orange hair. The last time I checked,
I have gray blue eyes, but they have a habit of changing to green now and again. I wear the armor of bones that I found from a bonenapper's nest that makes me almost unrecognizable as a human. I was abandoned as a child and was raised by dragons. Yep that's right. Dragons. The last time I checked, everybody hated them. And I befriended them. Let me tell you my story. I was a child, when my mother left me here. I don't know why, but she did. I was walking around for days, and that's when I came across a young black dragon. I remember the night I met her. It was a full moon and the sky had a bluish-sliver tint to it. She was small, yet she flew like a graceful giant. When she came down from the sky, she was very cat like and she easily trusted me. The next morning, she reminding me of the night sky so I named her Midnight. I realized she was very smart and human like when she started to treat me like its young or even its sibling. She took me in and fed me and kept me warm. We lived together ever since. When I got old enough, I realized that one of her tale flaps was missing and I knew I had to return the favor of saving her. Since I lived on this deserted island, I had nothing to fix her with so I used leaves and vines, flying her from island to island when supplies ran out. This was the day I was moving to a better island. I jumped on midnight with her makeshift saddle on. She let out a roar of approval for flight and we were off. I was so free. I loved being up in the air with my best friend. That's when everything went down hill.