Chapter 8

~Stride's POV~
I've been here for 6 days and it's been amazing. I've already got a fishing job, with Midnight's help, and I can finally live comfortably. Ive been taking part in the dragon games and I've already won the sheep toss twice. I was taking another joy ride with Midnight just taking in the air. We flew slowly, as far up as she could fly, and I laid on her back. That's when I remembered. The race is in an hour! I immediately jumped up, almost falling off of her, and switched her gear for fast. I wanted to get a little practice in, so we fell all the way to the ocean, opened her wings and we shot up. I jumped off of her, almost falling into the ocean, but thankfully it all went right and she caught me. We both took a breath and started to make our way to the race. We got there in about 10 minutes and we greeted hiccup and toothless.
"So, you ready to get beat?" I said jokingly.
"I think it's the other way around." He said.
"We'll see." I said with a chuckle.
We lined up at the starting point with the whole tribe gathered around in the bleachers. I fastened myself to Midnight and gave her a few inspirational words.
"Alright girl, we've got this. Remember wings in and stay low. Let's show everyone who is the new fastest."
She gave me a whisper roar and a "let's do this face" in return.
I buckled down to her, adjusted my grip, flipped down my bone helmet and waited for Gober's countdown.
"5!" Gober started to count.
"4!" I glanced over at Hiccup to see him getting ready and flipping his flight gear helmet down.
"3!" I patted Midnight and gave her some final words before we went.
"2!" I switched my gear for fast flying and picked my butt off from the saddle.
"1!" Midnight shot into the air and got a head start. We followed the path with Hiccup close behind. I saw the rock maze coming up so we dropped down to the water.
"Woo hoo!" I yelled and Midnight skimmed the water with her wing, giving me an oceany mist of saltwater.
  I looked up, to see hiccup and toothless above me, falling behind.
    "Just keep on doing what your doing." I told Midnight.
As time went on, the maze became more difficult. Rock pillars were everywhere and Midnight was constantly making sharp turns, cutting it close every time. We stuck to the water so we wouldn't get lost in it. Hiccup followed close behind, sticking to the sky's. 5 minutes went by, and we neared the end of the maze. Both me, hiccup, toothless, and midnight let out a hooray. We were so close, just getting out into open sky's. I looked up at Hiccup and toothless and saw a dragon with metallic, shiny scales, knife like spines, razor blade wings and the rider, hidden under a black cloak, face covered by a mask, threw a weighted net over Hiccup and Toothless bringing them down. They both screamed as the dragon and mysterious rider grabbed them and flew off.
     "Hiccup! Toothless!" I yelled and midnight roared.
       We stopped in mid flight, looked back at the racing path, and flew after Hiccup and toothless.