024

twenty—four

Dad.

Mark bit his bottom lip, shutting his eyes tightly as he hesitated to press the answer button. He knew that the staff in their household were monitoring their actions and updating it to their father. And the fact that they're not home before their bed time (which consists of staying in the room and probably meditate since they don't actually sleep) probably made the staff panic and he wouldn't be surprised if the house would turn upside down just to look for the six of them.

"Hi, dad-"

"Mark fucking Lee, what happened to stay at home at all costs!?"

Mark had to pull the phone away from his ear because of his father's sudden yells from the other line, making him heave a deep sigh before pressing the phone back on his ear. "Dad, I can explain."

"Speak." His father's voice went back to normal, but that doesn't entirely mean that Mark's already off hook- heck he would probably get his ass beaten the moment his father came home.

"It's about Renjun." Mark slightly hoped that the man would feel a spark of pity for the human, especially when he was just sold to them. But Jaehyun had to be Jaehyun, "What about him?"

Mark shut his eyes tightly, feeling another presence in front of him. "He ran away."

"And?"

And to think that his father would be angry at them was a huge facepalm for Mark. Why would the man care about the human's whereabouts?

"Look, I don't know why I'm like this because I usually don't care, but Dad Renjun's different-" Mark took a deep breath and opened his eyes, wanting to explain word by word to the man only to chicken out the moment he saw his brothers standing in front of him.

Silence.

"So?" Mark could hear his father speak after a minute of silence or so, but he didn't reply immediately since the stares from his brothers were killing him.

"Say it," Donghyuck was the one who broke the ice, "Unless you want all of us to die."

The oldest, having no choice, sighed for the umpteenth time. "He's something important to me- to us, not just his blood even if that's the main point why he was sold under your name."

The other line was silent, listening to Mark's words bit by bit as the man slowly connected the dots of the possibilities as to why they were acting like this. Mark, on the other hand, felt like he was on a hot seat at how his brothers were looking at him, unconsiously clutching the phone on his hold to at least reduce the pressure they were giving him.

"Renjun... He's someone who makes us get out of our room everyday, he's someone we're bound to protect because I don't exactly know why, he's someone who butters our croissant,"

Jeno pinched the bridge of his nose, the last one was completely unnecessary yet understandable - though he's disappointed that Mark just had to say something that's very out of the main point.

"Did he runaway because he's just someone who feeds you?" Mark could hear his dad chuckle from the other line, "What did he expect to be sold in a vampire family? Be loved?"

Mark was astonished. Did he just hear his own father say those things? He knows the man isn't usually like this, and it made his insides boil, making him tighten his clutch on the phone more and he could swear he would break it any time now.

"Dad, what are you saying?" The hint of disappointment present on his tone caught the man off guard, not going to lie.

It was dead silent for about five seconds before Mark could hear his father sigh faintly. "Tell me, Mark. Are you, the six of you, in love?"

Are they?

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

"We're not that heartless to chain you up, let you suffer in the basement, and drink you to death," The silver-haired male scoffed, "That's some cliche shit right there."

Renjun obviously didn't ask, but he's rather thankful that they weren't what other humans exaggerated - like as in bloodsucking creatures who show no mercy when it comes to them being possessive and obsessive over you.

The room was elegantly designed, the queen-sized bed was eye-catching, a placed small lamp chilling at the bedside table as rays of sunlight permeated through the windows, and a glass door seperating the room from the terrace. It was way different from the Jung's because their house was vintage-designed, and this was way modernized.

"At least not now."

Renjun blinked and looked behind him, seeing Beomgyu leaning by the doorpost as he lowkey checked the human out while having his arms and legs crossed.

What did he mean by that?

"But don't expect us to set you freely," Beomgyu scoffed at the thought, making Renjun raise a brow at his remark. "That'd be too easy for them, you know?"

"What do you want from me?" Renjun stated, clutching on the hem of his pink sweater as he bit his lip - mind you, his head was still throbbing and he felt hot despite it being chilly out.

Beomgyu thought for a moment before untangling his crossed arms and legs, sliding his hands in his pocket as he rested his face on an unreadable expression; to which Renjun found scary because of how fast they can change their expression.

Renjun took a step back as the silver haired male's eyes morphed from plain dark brown to burnt red, fear emitting throughout his body.

"If you assumed we took you just to let them come here and face us, then you're wrong," Beomgyu smirked and walked towards the human with slow steps, catching the shorter off guard.

Renjun stepped back little by little, only to feel his feet bump against the leg of the table which he didn't know existed inside since he was only looking at the queen-sized bed. He could feel his beart tighten as Beomgyu approached him, unconsciously cluthing on the edge of the table.

"We took you," The silver haired male trailed his finger from Renjun's temples, slowly dragging it to his cheeks, then to his chin rather slowly which made Renjun felt chills run down his spine.

"Because we want you for us, and for us only."

Renjun looked away from Beongyu's intimidating gaze, still clutching the edge of the table as he shut his eyes tightly, hoping that the male would back away from their dangerously close faces.

"Hyung,"

Just as Beomgyu was about to do something, someone just had to stop them.

"Kai, how about mind your own business-"

"Soobin hyung said not to do anything to him until they come," The newcomer, as what Renjun would assume is named Kai, stated, earning an audible groan from the other vampire.

"Fuck him." Beomgyu mutters under his breath, walking away from Renjun as he eyes the taller younger vampire at the hallway.

With both Renjun and Kai watching Beomgyu leave the room, the two averted their gazes to each other; which resulted for the both of them to get flustered and try to distract themselves at the sudden eye contact.

Maybe not all of them are an asshole, according to Renjun.

─── ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ ───