Chapter 14.

Sophie

Before I knew it, it was two pm and I was already running late. After taking a week off social outings, Jin called me to tell me that our parents were coming to dinner on Saturday. My head was spinning with excitement, I missed Dad and Mary, but also with nerves. Of course, they'd been happy when I'd got the chance to transfer and relished the fact that I'd be close to Jin at all times, but still, I hadn't been the most outgoing person. Besides Eric, I spent most time studying, and sometimes they got worried. So, now I wanted to show them I'd become an independent person who had the initiative to lead her own life.

Almost dropping a bag, I made my way to Jin's house and rang the doorbell. Jin put me in charge of shopping and dessert, while he'd take care of the main dish. I knew he was studying management, but hell, sometimes when I saw him in the kitchen, I couldn't picture my brother behind anything but a kitchen counter.

"Hey, baby Kim," Hoseok's smile greeted me as he let me into the house. I wasn't actually a Kim like Jin was, but a small smile curled my lips at the fact that they really treated me as Jin's actual sister.

We'd decided it'd be best to have dinner at Jin's house, and he'd asked his friends to eat out so we'd have the place for ourselves. Hoseok took one of the bags from my hands and I managed to thank him before the chaos in the kitchen stopped me dead in my tracks. "What are you doing?" I stared at Jin who was in the middle of chopping onions.

He smiled up at me through the tears and when I stepped closer my eyes started to tear up too. "I want tonight to be perfect," Jin wiped his eyes with his hand, only making the tears flow faster and I quickly put on an apron, washed my hands, and took the knife from him, "we haven't seen them in so long."

That reminded me, "Is Maggie coming too?" I hadn't seen her in a while and was missing the glass-rimmed ball of sunshine.

"Can't, she has an exam on Monday and has locked herself in her room until it's over," I noticed the slight slump of Jin's shoulders and realised mine were slumped too.

"Next time then," I tried to lighten the mood and get to work. "Where can I start?" I looked around the kitchen, trying to find a spot where I could start working on my Pavlova cake, but every inch of the kitchen was covered in dishes. "How did you manage to get dishes everywhere?" I complained.

Jin shrugged, "Don't judge my creative space." He pointed at a tiny free spot between a bowl of tomatoes and carrots. "Guys," Jin's yell resonated through the house, "I need some help in the kitchen."

I smiled to myself, remembering how Jin used to call me to wash the dishes when we were little. A second later two figures strode into the kitchen.

Before I could even say hello, Jimin was at my side, "Hey, Sophie babe."

"Hi, guys," I smiled back at him and turned to Namjoon to find him already looking my way.

Namjoon nodded in greeting and asked, "What do you need?"Just the deep tone of his voice made my insides warm. Would I be exaggerating if I said that his voice felt like melted chocolate? Yes, I internally face-palmed. He is your brother's friend. Stop thinking about him.

I turned back to mixing the egg whites and tried to ignore Namjoon's presence as he started doing the dishes.

Was I being weird? Gosh, I was being so weird around him, but I couldn't help it. How does one act around their brother's best friend, who also happens to be a great kisser and you just happen to know that firsthand? I was so deep in thought, thinking if I should say something that I didn't notice Namjoon was speaking to me until I heard my name on my lips, making me shiver with pleasure.